The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

25 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: The truth about my cuppa
27 May 2014, 07:52
@Manderley 'green' used to be the skinny one in some supermarkets, with red in others. They changed about 8 years ago so that they were all the same in the UK, (supermarket geek, here) I know I have to check carefully when in Spain.
27 May 2014, 10:21
I don't like tea either.
27 May 2014, 11:31
A teaspoon of sugar is not 100 calories. It has about 15 calories!
27 May 2014, 11:53
on a fast day, I measure out 1/4 c. Of 1% milk & use that for coffee or tea. Then I just count the 28 calories for the whole day. (110 cal in 1 c.). If I don't use the whole thing, I don't bother figuring it out as its not that much to begin with.
27 May 2014, 12:06
On fast days I have 3 teas with milk and stevia 5 drops but if I am struggling I might have some honey like 1/2 tspn to sweeten my 3rd cuppa usually about 5pm. My coffee at around 1pm I now try to have without sweetener. All being said and done I don't even worry about the milk it is the sweetener I try to limit. But fluid fasting as Julia mentions the cals are so low it doesn't matter.

Sounds to me that you ought to enjoy your milk as it would be minimal in the scheme of things
27 May 2014, 12:11
Im a bad boy! I have never thought of counting the calories from the milk in my coffee. I probably have about 4 or 5 cups with semi-skimmed. I have sweetex not sugar. Whoops better see how many cals there are in the semi. I did a diet a few years ago and had skimmed milk but I think it was dyed water lol
02 Sep 2014, 11:54
]I love my cuppas too just with a trickle of milk.....a pint of semiskimmed lasts me about a week,so i dont worry too much,just say 50 cals a day tho it isnt even that much @philxjr
Cuppas are great.." The cup that cheers but not inebriates" as my mum used to say!
@Mich37@Janpartlyand@philxjr and @Emerald17good to see you all x
@julieathome you said you wdnt be back til Sept,and here you are! :like
02 Sep 2014, 12:02
I take neither milk nor sugar in coffee or Indian tea but then I never have so I don't have a problem with the bitterness.

I loathe most herbal teas but recently I've found my tastes are changing. I like green tea as long as the water wasn't boiling when it was made (makes it too bitter even for me) and usually take it with a smidgeon of rose or orange water. I thought I disliked Rooibos tea but it must have been particular brands that seemed like smoked mackerel as I've now discovered some blends that I heartily enjoy.

I'm very fond of jasmine tea and it's a special drink to have on DDs to convey a sense of indulgence and luxury (altho' that's not for kcal reasons, more the expense of some types - and it's a relatively harmless psychological trick :oops:).
02 Sep 2014, 12:49
hi there.

For info, a 100ml of skimmed milk contains 37 calories, so 10 ml is 3.7. Are you measuring it? 10 ml is approx a dessert spoon.

Hope this helps,

Paulyboy
02 Sep 2014, 13:07
Like many of you I also have semi- skimmed milk in coffee on fast days but no sugar. I did buy myself a coffee machine to try & break the habit by trying Expresso coffee & now find that is OK for me. I also enjoy a cup of Bovril!
However since reading the Fast Five Diet where the metabolic pathway is well described! there is the suggestion that when fasting eating or drinking even milk can initiate insulin release that then stops the release of fat from storage! So I am also wondering if having milk in my coffee is sabotaging better weight loss particularly since it has slowed right down to only 1/2 lb a week? :confused:
25 posts Page 2 of 2