The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

25 posts Page 1 of 2
The truth about my cuppa
22 May 2014, 16:40
Now I will be the first to admit that I lie to myself.

On fast days, I drink a lot of tea, by the pint from one of my many pint mugs. I do take milk, but only a splash and it is 'red' milk, 0.1% fat. I guess I put about 10ml in and tell myself that this is 10 calories.

In truth, I have no idea how many calories it is! Could someone tell me, please?

I just couldn't bring myself to drink fruit, green or black tea in the same volume and it really does keep the hunger pangs at bay.

Closes eyes and hopes the replies are not bad news

:dance: :coffee: Thanks, Effie
Re: The truth about my cuppa
22 May 2014, 16:54
I wouldn't worry it can't be any more than 10 calories red milk is almost like water anyway. I used to use about 1/2 a pint in my porage and I think that was only about 20 calories.
22 May 2014, 17:14
Good question i do the same with coffee using skimmed milk, although i try to put as little as possible in it i do drink a lot of coffee on a fast day :oops: i have tried it without but couldn't stomache it.
I don't like tea in any form and i would rather go over my 500 and have my hot drink than go without. I also tried bovril and i hated that as well :shock:
22 May 2014, 17:20
I also have to have milk - and sugar - in my hot tea, usually drinking 1 cup a day on fast days. The way I figured it, as long as I was losing weight I was ok. I was, so I never stopped using it! :grin:
22 May 2014, 19:39
I have tea on fast days, I use semi skimmed and only a splash! I usually allow about 50 calories a day so try to make my one and only meal come in under 450. I don't worry to much about if it is more as said earlier as long as the weight is coming off it must be working.
22 May 2014, 20:12
Skimmed milk in my coffee is non negotiable regardless of calories- and I've still lost weight!
23 May 2014, 09:04
I'm with you merlin on milk in coffee being non negotiable!!!
I also take 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. In total 3 a day.
But without them a fast day would be impossible for me so therefore an invaluable tool in my eyes. I estimate 20 cals per drink.
My first coffee of the morning is like a little piece of heaven :smile:
23 May 2014, 09:40
I always take my coffee black with no sugar and always take my tea with a splash of milk (English tea, no one of the fruity ones) and people around me look at me like if I was a mad woman, as it's not something we do around here. Plus, I put my milk before my hot water, which is nonsense, really :bugeyes: :razz:

And all that because of you, British people :grin:

Thank you for that :heart:
23 May 2014, 11:01
I believe that there about five calories in a tablespoon (15ml) of skimmed milk. Hope this helps!
24 May 2014, 00:46
I have numerous cups of tea a day, with milk and count it as 100kcals. As I try to liquid fast where possible, the 100kcals isn't going to make much of a difference, without the milk though I would probably be ga ga by the end of the day.
24 May 2014, 03:04
I drink coffee black and tea. I was putting a teaspoon of sugar into my coffee but then I learned that 1 teaspoon of sugar is about 100 calories. So now I do with out the sugar and save that for something else.
27 May 2014, 07:31
Thanks for all your replies.

I've done a little bit of maths and measuring!

For 'red' milk there are 35 cals per 100ml, so my splash of milk, even if it's as much as 15ml would be 5.25 cals. I think I'm safe to allocate 50 cals to tea on a fast day.

I also drink black coffee, no problem with that, although I can take my coffee any way.

I remember 'giving up sugar' in my hot drinks when I was about 11. I have made sure my kids never got used to the sweet taste, even if it has meant it took them longer to drink tea and coffee.
It was really difficult for about 2 weeks, it tasted awful, but now I couldn't drink tea with sugar in. It would make a real difference to my calorie count if I did.

Just finished my second pint of tea on this fast day (it's 8:30) because I'm hoping to stick with liquids until evening.
27 May 2014, 07:39
I didn't connect the dots until now, I am a bit slow to react sometimes.... :razz: , but over here the "red" milk is the heaviest, the skinny milk is the "green" one. I thought it was the same everywhere..... :confused:
27 May 2014, 07:43
I also drink black coffee. It was a conscious decision to give up milk and sugar years ago but I remember it took months to enjoy it black. It was worth the effort. I hate all tea ( yes I am English) so coffee is the only hot drink I have. I find that and water fine on a fast day. I think we have to do what works for each of us. As has been said if the weight is going down, no problem. One of the main attractions of this for me is no counting, so I don't!
27 May 2014, 07:51
I'm a serial tea drinker with a splash of milk! At work we have a seriously good quality coffee machine. I knocked coffee on the head when I started 5:2 as I found it made my tummy growl for food. Whereas tea I find refreshing and does not stir the hungry monster.
25 posts Page 1 of 2