The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
When I get colds, it always slides down to phlegm congesting my bronchial tubes. Which causes coughing, severe can't breath coughing at times. Then the cough irritates the upper airways, which causes more coughing. I have a two fold attack for the cough, one is honey and hot water to try and soothe the upper airways and the other is to sit with a cold wet cloth draped over my nose and mouth to give cold damp air to the irritated passageways.

But the honey has blown the fast.

I have a telephone consultation with my doctor as soon as he finishes with this sessions patients, as I think the sneezing and coughing have caused my prolapsed disk in my neck to worsen as well.

Fun and games, but if anyone has any tips to suppress the cough or to loosen the phlegm, I would appreciate it. The cold itself has mostly gone, so I don't need cold therapies, just to stop this coughing, before it puts me in hospital, paralysed.
Ohh noooooo!!!!! Tomorrow is another day xxx Get well soon xx
Oh dear Julie, you're in the wars aren't you? *hugs*

I always find a nice hot steam inhalation (bowl of hot water, head under a towel!) helps clear my tubes, make breathing easier and soothes the soreness/irritation too. Also can't go wrong with a nice lemon & honey drink to calm the throat.

I fasted with a bad throat once and just allowed myself the honey anyway - at least it's natural, and I didn't have more than 150 cals or so of it at the very worst, even that on top of a normal fast isn't so terribly over, so you don't necessarily have to can it unless you want to :)
I don't want to can it as I believe the repair part of 5:2 will help. I prefer the cold damp to the hot steam as the heat seems to set of the coughing. I am off to sit on the sofa, read a book and look like the 'Lone Ranger' with my wet yellow duster bandanna.
Isn't it funny how different we all are? I find the cold damp makes mine worse! Sorry for the useless suggestions then, but don't worry about the honey & your fast, keep going if that's what you want and you don't feel it's doing you any harm. 650 cals today isn't the end of the world - one day out of a lifetime remember!

Hope you feel better soon xx
I've blown two fasts this week because of a bad cold. I usually fast Mondays but felt so rough I abandoned it. Tried again yesterday, when the cold was in full swing and failed again. I've not tried fasting today but I will tomorrow as Thursday is my other regular fast day. I can't believe how ravenous I've been today! I do think it's better when ill to just listen to the your body and give it what it needs - if that's food, so be it.
I'm back from the doctors. I have Bronchitis, so antibiotics it is. I've been more interested in liquids today, probably anything to soothe the tubes so the actual fasting hasn't been a problem.

Hubby is going to have to go to hospital tomorrow with one of the lads, whilst I curl up on the sofa and order the teenager around.
Oh you poor love Julie! Make sure you take good care of yourself and gat yourself better asap. :hugright: :hugleft: Hopefully once the antibiotics kick in you'll start to feel much better.
Hope you feel better soon. My suggestion is raw ginger grated and then immersed in hot water. Leave it in if you can take the heat. If not, leave for a minute or two, then remove. You can add it to a honey and lemon.
Hope you feel better soon Julie and that your neck hasn't got worse.
((((Hugs))) I hope you feel better soon hun! I have an immune defiency so I often catch colds/chest infections. Curl up, keep warm and drink lots of fluids. Take care honey xx
If you have any Codeine in the house (eg for your back pain) it is an amazing anti-tussive (stops coughing) along with anti-inflammatory. I usually take 30mg and that helps me sleep without coughing. Don't take more than 120mg in a day and make sure you read the data sheet to make sure it is suitable to you.

It does make you a bit constipated and drowsy - I can't drive when I take it - it should be used with caution and not eaten like sweeties but taken appropriately it is great for allowing your airways to settle down and allow you to get some rest.

Hope you feel better soon x
I'm allergic to codeine spanner.
I already take diclophenac, but with tramadol and paracetamol.
Thanks for thinking of me though.
14 posts Page 1 of 1