The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Fibre on a fast day
11 Jan 2014, 13:40
When I've used linseed in the past, I've ground up the whole bag and put it in the freezer. Its stays loose when frozen so it can be dispensed easily and it doesn't seem to go off, well not in the time frame I used it over which was 3 months. Another thing to nip to the health food shop for. I wonder if hubby will have some?
11 Jan 2014, 14:04
You're right @PennyForthem - definitely use ground rather than whole. Ground linseed can go rancid rather quickly (as it's exceedingly high in oils) so you're best only grinding enough for a week or so and making sure it's well sealed. The whole linseeds don't, in my experience, go orf in the same way.[/quote]

I use flaxseed meal, add it to porridge, omelets, soups etc. I'm assuming its the same stuff with the advantage of not going rancid?

And I may have missed it, can someone point me in the direction for the recipe? Thanks
11 Jan 2014, 14:27
jeninboston wrote: You're right @PennyForthem - definitely use ground rather than whole. Ground linseed can go rancid rather quickly (as it's exceedingly high in oils) so you're best only grinding enough for a week or so and making sure it's well sealed. The whole linseeds don't, in my experience, go orf in the same way.

I use flaxseed meal, add it to porridge, omelets, soups etc. I'm assuming its the same stuff with the advantage of not going rancid?

And I may have missed it, can someone point me in the direction for the recipe? Thanks

Flaxseed *is* linseed by another name - so it will go rancid : BUT if you keep it well sealed, or in the freezer as @Julieathome suggests, it probably won't go off that fast!

The simplest recipe is:
linseed, brown or golden, ground; 10g
water; 10ml
salt; wee pinch

Add water to dry stuff; dollop the ensuing mess onto parchment paper, non-stick cooking liner or a silicone sheet and spread as evenly and thin as possible (nae holes / gaps); bung in the microwave and ping for about a minute; check whether it seems crispy, if not, ping for a further 10 seconds and check again (repeat as necessary - it burns very easily so don't be tempted to just do it for another minute!); allow to cool a little, then eat and enjoy!

I add all sorts of things to the basic mix (chilli and garlic flakes plus Italian seasoning is a favourite; plus parmesan is yummy, as are sesame seeds) just make sure you add a little extra water if you're adding lots of dry stuff. Plenty more linseed crackers on my thread :) FatDog
11 Jan 2014, 15:07
FatDog wrote:
jeninboston wrote: You're right @PennyForthem - definitely use ground rather than whole. Ground linseed can go rancid rather quickly (as it's exceedingly high in oils) so you're best only grinding enough for a week or so and making sure it's well sealed. The whole linseeds don't, in my experience, go orf in the same way.

Flaxseed *is* linseed by another name - so it will go rancid : BUT if you keep it well sealed, or in the freezer as @Julieathome suggests, it probably won't go off that fast!

The simplest recipe is:
water; 10ml
salt; wee pinch

Add water to dry stuff; dollop the ensuing mess onto parchment paper, non-stick cooking liner or a silicone sheet and spread as evenly and thin as possible (nae holes / gaps); bung in the microwave and ping for about a minute; check whether it seems crispy, if not, ping for a further 10 seconds and check again (repeat as necessary - it burns very easily so don't be tempted to just do it for another minute!); allow to cool a little, then eat and enjoy!

I add all sorts of things to the basic mix (chilli and garlic flakes plus Italian seasoning is a favourite; plus parmesan is yummy, as are sesame seeds) just make sure you add a little extra water if you're adding lots of dry stuff. Plenty more linseed crackers on my thread :) FatDog

THANKS!!! I'll be making some today
11 Jan 2014, 18:10
Just been round to H&B and bought a packet, but nearly died at the price £4.99 :frown: :frown: I never buy "health foods" so it came as a real shock. But, I need to sort a low-carb fibre source, so I'll give it a go. I also bought magnesium tablets from Waitrose, I've never bought any vitamins before, but I really want to fix my sleeping and bunged up issues.
11 Jan 2014, 18:21
:oops: I've started eating a little piece of a fiber biscuit every day, not a whole one, but just a small bite. It really helps! I don't need the whole thing at all, but as I've gotten older, and with the fasting, I feel it really helps out.

I wish I knew about it before, the veggies just don't do it all anymore for me, it helps me to have a little extra to get things through my system. They are just an over the counter thing, don't taste too bad, it's a multigrain thing with psyllium husk and oat hull fiber, a "produced food" but it's OK...not the greatest or perfect thing, but it's working well.
11 Jan 2014, 18:25
Oh! Plus a ton of water and herbal teas through the day. Especially when I eat the bite of a biscuit, I accompany that with a full cup of hot water.
11 Jan 2014, 18:37
Here is a recipe for flax crackers if you fancy the whole seed. These are great when you need something crispy and salty. :cool: They look pretty too if serving with dips (on non fast days obvs :confused: )

2.5 cups whole flax, presoaked for at least 8 hours. Do not rinse prior to soaking. Pour enough water over them to cover, they will go gelatinous. Pour off any excess water at the end of the soaking time.

2 cups tinned chopped tomatoes
Herbs and spices of your choice, eg chopped oregano or rosemary, or smoked paprika, or chilli. Get creative!
1 tspn salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients into a bowl. Mix thoroughly with hands or mix in a food processor if you don't like the feel of the texture.

You need 3 baking sheets either silicon lined or baking parchment.

Using wet hands place a third of the mixture out into a layer about a quarter inch thick, making sure there are no holes and the mixture is evenly spread. Repeat on the other trays. With a butter knife, score into four squares, then again into rectangles or any other shape you like. I'm lazy and just dry the whole sheet and break them up rustic style when they are dry.

Bake in the oven on your lowest setting until crackers are dry completely. Carefully peel off the silicon. Cool and check they snap nicely when cold. They keep in a tin for a week.

Thanks to Cafe Gratitude for the inspiration who make theirs with a cup of carrot juice and a cup of carrot pulp instead of tinned tomatoes.
11 Jan 2014, 18:43
Minumonline wrote: Just been round to H&B and bought a packet, but nearly died at the price £4.99 :frown: :frown: I never buy "health foods" so it came as a real shock. But, I need to sort a low-carb fibre source, so I'll give it a go. I also bought magnesium tablets from Waitrose, I've never bought any vitamins before, but I really want to fix my sleeping and bunged up issues.

You were had @Minumonline, or bought the organic stuff which is *very* expensive. The brown linseed I get is £1.79 for 500g from H&B...
11 Jan 2014, 18:48
Hmmmm. I went through all the linseed and flaxseed they had. and it was all a similar price. I loathe that shop - I looked at their garlic capsules, cheapest they had was £9.99, so I didn't get any. Popped into superdrug, and they had some for 79p ! I'm going to start grumbling on twitter about it.

Thanks for the cracker recipe @fatdog- just made some with the grated cheese from the Christmas leftovers. Great way to consume my (overpriced) flaxseed.
11 Jan 2014, 19:00
I use flax in my peanut butter balls, hellishly expensive. Good job were a cunning bunch. I
Like H and B when they have their penny promo only.
12 Jan 2014, 17:50
FatDog wrote:
The simplest recipe is:
water; 10ml
salt; wee pinch

I'm having fun with these. Tonights version is

1/4 cup of flaxseed
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (generous)
1/4 tsp salt (mean)
water to make paste

Made 4 crackers cooked in microwave for 90 seconds

lovely base for pate for pre supper nibbles.
27 posts Page 2 of 2