The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Fibre on a fast day
13 Feb 2013, 12:48
I don't eat processed foods, as we enjoy cooking and eating 'from scratch'. I am fortunate to work from home, so I can plan and cook each evening.

On my fast day, I am conscious that I need to maintain my fibre intake, so eat lots of (calorie counted!) veg.
I also try to include a small amount of baked beans!! ;)
I have also taken to eating 30g of dried fruit on a non-fast day.

Just wondering how you maintain your fibre levels (no fibre gel either)
Re: Fibre on a fast day
13 Feb 2013, 13:25
Like you, I mainly have vegetables for my <500 cal meal in the evening, plus a small amount of fish or chicken. No fruit, no starches not even porridge. Dried fruit is too high in sugar for me to consider it. I don't want to break out of ketosis.
10 Jan 2014, 22:27
Just looking through my old posts and came across this.
I no longer have the dried fruit, but I do manage 20g (plus) of fibre now in a non fast day, plus lots of water.
Going low carb has been a challenge, too, but generally very sustainable.
10 Jan 2014, 22:46
I don't eat on a fast day, plus I also take medication that 'bungs' me up. So I try to have a high fibre meal the meal before a fast and I make sure I drink LOADS of water. But I occasionally have to revert to a laxative.
10 Jan 2014, 22:55
I don't go near the canteen on a fast day as I don't want to look at the mountains of food (mmm, chips!!), so resort to protein shakes. It has worked so far. I do get 'bunged' up regularly despite the amount of veggies/salad I eat. I have been taking laxatives on occasion, and drink water for England but it doesn't always work. Hey ho!
10 Jan 2014, 23:03
This thread may be of help with those who get 'bunged up'.

chat-f12/howling-with-laughter-here-new-weight-loss-aid-t10631.html
Fibre on a fast day
10 Jan 2014, 23:47
One word:

************* LINSEED *************

Vital statistics:
linseed - golden or brown - per 100g
... 534 calories
... 1.5g carbohydrates
... 42.16g fat
... 18.29g protein
... 27.3g fibre

and that fat? it's mostly omega 3 oils - great stuff.

Make yourself some linseed crackers (takes moments to prep and minutes to cook in the microwave) and scran them on high days, holidays, fast days and feed days... your tummy will love you.

xxx FatDog (who is wondering if she has a linseed fetish)

p.s. linseed == flaxseed
11 Jan 2014, 03:25
@FatdogI did not know that linseed and flaxseed were the same! I see flaxseed in the stores here but didn't realize it was the same thing, I will now be able to make your cracker recipe. :) Thank you!
11 Jan 2014, 03:35
I fairly regularly eat shirataki noodles in my stir fries, which are fibrous vegetable rich anyway. Sometimes when I think I'm ahem bunged up, it's probably more that there's nothing there. That's more a post fast day problem.
11 Jan 2014, 03:41
I try to stick to a small piece of protein and lots of stir fry veges on a fast day. I find that it works better for my digestion than say an omlette and salad. I will occasionally use something like Benefiber but that is a last resort. On regular eating days I aim to have 1-2 pieces of fruit and 5 serves (1/2cup = 1 serve) of veges. I also like the Sunsweet brand of dried plum (prune). One or two of these can help get things moving.
11 Jan 2014, 09:18
So true, FatDog..LINSEED/flaxseed. Readily available, we have a teaspoon milled flaxseed sprinkled over food just once a day every day. Very low cal for a level teaspoon and it makes a difference, even with having lots of veg.
11 Jan 2014, 09:38
Linseed 'works' better when ground, I believe, so we grind ours and sprinkle over/in anything suitable.
I'll try those crackers, thanks @fatdog but our microwave is broken - awaiting hub's ministrations. Can I cook them in my halogen oven? Failing that, I can nip out to the caravan!
11 Jan 2014, 10:15
Off to Adelaide on Monday for the week, linseed/flaxseed, Metamucil and magnesium on the shopping list. Plus something more tasty too I hope!! Auntie Molly is baking up a storm in advance of us coming so we are going to be well fed! 16:8 methinks!!
11 Jan 2014, 10:41
One of my favourite fast day meals is Pinto bean chilli. Beans and chilli - need I say more!!
11 Jan 2014, 13:13
PennyForthem wrote: Linseed 'works' better when ground, I believe, so we grind ours and sprinkle over/in anything suitable.
I'll try those crackers, thanks @fatdog but our microwave is broken - awaiting hub's ministrations. Can I cook them in my halogen oven? Failing that, I can nip out to the caravan!

You're right @PennyForthem - definitely use ground rather than whole. Ground linseed can go rancid rather quickly (as it's exceedingly high in oils) so you're best only grinding enough for a week or so and making sure it's well sealed. The whole linseeds don't, in my experience, go orf in the same way.

When I've done large quantities of the linseed crackers I've done them in our conventional oven - I've not used a halogen oven but I'm assuming it's just a different sort of heat source and can't see why it wouldn't do fine. No idea of what the timings would be - it's about 10 minutes plus several more with checking every minute in our conventional brute.
27 posts Page 1 of 2