The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
measuring inches not weight.
17 Feb 2013, 10:18
Due to a past history of getting obsessive over what the scales say I am deliberately staying off them (although it is tempting when everyone on here is always discussing weight). Instead I am measuring inches. I didn't do any measurements prior to starting as I didn't really believe this would work for weight and so mainly started off doing it for health benefits. After the first week when I noticed that I felt less bloated I did take measurements and 1 week after that have just taken my second set. In a week I have lost 1.5 inches off my waist, so am very happy with that! Now at 30 inch waist again.

I have just taken measurements from all over my body and will up date every week to two weeks.

Also, just finished my period. I usually retain a lot of water during it but noticed that this was a lot less than normal. Have others noticed this?
I am also monitoring measurements.
I haven't lost weight for the last 2 weeks, but have lost 2" off my waist in the last 3 weeks, so am remaining positive.
I do have my initial bust and hip measurements, but haven't measured them since I started, as I'm mostly interested in reducing my belly blubber to reduce my health risks.
I think I've lost a lot of retained water but it's hard to know...
DrLCH wrote: just finished my period. I usually retain a lot of water during it but noticed that this was a lot less than normal. Have others noticed this?

Can't say that I have... ;)

I find it tricky to be sure about waist measurements, and I suspect there is even more randomness in it than in weight. How much do you breathe out, exactly where does that tape measure go? (Even the experts disagree.) I guess it should always be on an 'empty' stomach?

Somewhere I read advice that you should take two waist measurements, if they were within 1 cm (?) you should average them, if they are not then you should start again.

It's good though to have two weekly measures of how 5:2 is working - a better chance of at least one positive result!
Dominic - yesi usually take 3 or 4 measures and take the median measure as the one I use that week. I have done this type of measuring before and because I have such a large difference between waist and hip measurement I have a very distinctive waist. I measure at the narrowest point of my waist, an inch above my bellybutton and just above the point at which my hips and bum start flaring out at the back. I have found that it makes almost no difference if I suck my stomach in, must cause it to flare at the sides slightly.

Of all the measurements I find the hip one hardest to get in exactly the same position each time.
DrLCH wrote: . I have found that it makes almost no difference if I suck my stomach in, must cause it to flare at the sides slightly.

I noticed this too! All those years of sucking in my stomach when anyone was looking at me was a complete waste of time! :lol:
Another half an inch off my waist last week, now 29.5 inches. :) also lost 2 inches from around my bottom and tops of my thighs! None lost around hips, bust, arms or calves. Certainly seems to be coming off the fatty regions. Am very pleased with how it is going so far.
7 posts Page 1 of 1