The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
How do doctors react to 5:2?
25 Feb 2013, 00:22
My major worry about this diet is that if I mention it to my doctor, they'll be decidedly sniffy about it. I had a bad experience with an insensitive GP a few years back and I'm afraid that's coloured my opinion of them a little; alongside that, the NHS' take on it is very much "We had a look on Google, not sure what it's all about, maybe have some fruit?"

I was just wondering if anybody had mentioned it to their doctor, and what the general reaction had been?

Thanks!
Well I suspect the reactions will be as varied as possible, considering doctors are only human. My husband went to his GP this past week for his yearly checkup. She was thrilled he has lost 10 pounds since his last checkup six months ago, and that he's still off blood pressure meds (full disclosure - he started working out last summer, including running three or four days a week so being off BP meds isn't solely due to this diet). His "good" cholesterol is higher, and his "bad" cholesterol is lower. So she was pretty receptive when he told her about 5:2 and just said "well, keep up the good work."

I am sure there are doctors who will be less receptive though. After all, doctors are only people.
Depends on the GP and how much they keep up with the latest medical literature. A GP reaching retirement age now will have been trained in the late 60s and early 70s, and some may be set in their ways, whereas some may be keeping an eye on all the latest developments with more gusto. As Tracie says, there's bound to be a broad range of reactions.
I agree that GPs reactions will differ widely. Hubby and I saw our GP together last Nov. for blood checks before starting 5:2 - our GP hadn't heard of it and sat quietly listening with a smile on his face. His comment was 'well I've not heard of it, but it can't do any harm, so give it a go and let's see what happens' - which was fair enough we felt. We've decided to leave it 6 months and then go back for blood checks again so that comparisons can be made - when I go back I'm taking him a coyp of the book! I've got a good relation with our GP and who knows, if we can show him the weight loss benefits (if nothing else), then, who knows, he may read the book and even suggest it for other patients - there's always a possibility :)
There are at least two doctors that I know of who are members of this forum and are doing 5:2. They report mixed responses from their colleagues.

I predict that when the doubters see patients who have improved their health since taking up 5:2, they will be much keener!

Generally the doubters are people who have never had weight problems themselves...choose a chubby doctor :lol:!
5 posts Page 1 of 1