The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
I always had a bit of guilt when I buy meat. I don't know where it comes from...what about welfare animals etc....Best to buy from UK but what about pasties, sausage rolls, corned beef, etc... where the meat come from? I check Red Tractor now but it's not always there. Organic is very expesive though I'm trying some this week. Not sure if I trust more a shop than a butcher...
If you can get to a local farmers' market, buy there with full confidence.
Waitrose for Supermarket meat : all UK and they own most of their own farms.
but mostly my WONDERFUL independent Butcher

and occasionally Lidl for odd stuff like Goose and Reindeer

but I never buy ready meals, let alone Frozen ones : I like to be able to see what I'm buying
I buy from my butcher. I think people have to either be prepared to spend a lot more money on meat for the quality or just not eat so much. I read somewhere recently that we only used to eat one chicken a year! :shock:
I do my weekly shop at Waitrose because of their very good fresh fish counter & I do buy some meat such as the Aberdeen Angus minced beef to make chilli & spag bol, but usually choose organic chicken. I also have an excellent village butcher who has local venison & beef but he is expensive. Some ready meals I get from M & S such as their weekend meal deals. I will not buy fresh produce from Tescos because of the poor quality & the short shelf life, Waitrose fruit & veg always seems to be much better quality. I tend to eat more fish than meat. My weekly shopping bill has reduced since doing 5:2 :)
Buy all my meat from my local butcher - reliable, trustworthy, traceable !! Chicken is barn reared (access to outside during the day) so I feel it's a compromise - not free range (but nothing is by the true sense of the words) but definitely NOT battery. Buying in bulk works out cheaper than the equivalent in my local supermarket. Make my own burgers (so no danger of horse meat!), buy their own made sausages - heaven! Don't buy ready meals, unless there's a dire emergency!! :lol: and never frozen ones. Would rather have less meat but a good quality and good source, than have meat every day and eat cheap rubbish!
Local farm shop for their own local beef,chicken and lamb; some lamb from our neighbour who puts his sheep on our fields and pays us in meat, pork from my friends who keep pigs or as a last resort, Waitrose.
7 posts Page 1 of 1