The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Scales???
25 Feb 2013, 19:24
Just wondering if anyone can recommend any decent and accurate scales?? I have some but I can stand on them in one place and weigh a certain amount then move the scale 2inches to the side and weigh 5lb more!!! Any recommendations?? X
Re: Scales???
25 Feb 2013, 20:03
I don't own scales as I was obsessed about my weight years ago. I go to my neighbour's house to weigh myself. She uses Rosemary Conley scales that measure body fat % too (allegedly)! The weight can also be in stones & pounds, Kgs OR just pounds. My neighbour has "input" my height and that I am female. The scales can have up to 4 peoples height stored.
25 Feb 2013, 20:05
Mine are like that! I have to make sure they are in exactly the same place each time. I'm not sure exactly what my weight is but I know it's gone down by 13kg ish.
25 Feb 2013, 20:54
Thanks for the replies. It drives me mad everytime get on and off them again I'm either 5lb heavier or 5lb lighter!!! Have been looking at some salter body analyzer scales and the weight watcher scales, both have 4/5 stars so I'm thinking either of those. Just want ones that can be almost accurate and not lbs out!! Well done on your 13kg loss that's brilliant. I've only just started (2nd fast today) hoping by end of week I'll have a loss of some kind!! Xx
25 Feb 2013, 21:16
Bought some Salter fat analyser ones for ten quid from Amazon last week and v pleased with them
25 Feb 2013, 21:24
I've looked at some salter ones from argos 14.99 I think they are. May give them a go. Can always return them if not right I suppose x
25 Feb 2013, 21:55
just checked...mine were Salter 9114. Seemed a bargain but only had them a week
26 Feb 2013, 08:56
I reverted back to mechanical scales after having the anaylser ones which did exactly same as Natalie said, move it by as little as 1 cm in each of four directions and get four totally different readings. They went in the bin!
26 Feb 2013, 10:51
I had manual scales for years, and although I knew that each time I stepped on them the reading was different I could at least tell which direction my weight was going in.

After my weight stuck last week I decided to buy some digital ones - fool proof I thought. WRONG! So, they weighed my a pound heavier than the manual ones - OK, I can deal with that. But this morning, my first weigh in since last weeks scales switch, and my first reading was 10st5. Then 10st2, then 2 x 10st1 !!!! Of course, I chose the 10st1, but it just goes to show that even they aren't so accurate!
26 Feb 2013, 11:51
I had some old scales but they were moving steadily in the downward direction so I didn't care too much. However, at Christmas I was given (at my request) a new pair of scales only to find that I weighed 10lb more on the new ones :o - A visit to GP's scales confirmed the new ones were correct :shock: It then made me realise that when I was at my heaviest (about 18 months ago now) I was actualy 15 st 9 lbs and not the nearly 15st that I thought I was (and that made me pull myself up and ask what I was doing to myself). Anyway my new scales tell me that I'm just 3lb shy of reaching 12st - so they've done their job well!! They're a simple digital scale (no body fat etc, just weight) - made by Hanson.
26 Feb 2013, 15:58
Have just bought some salter make scales. Simple scales not digital ones. Just stood on them and they say I'm 3lb lighter than what the others read. Don't know if I've lost or other scales were wrong so I'm going to take this reading to be right and go from there. Only have 2 fast days under my belt so after the next ill weigh again and see if any difference x
26 Feb 2013, 17:00
I got my HoMedics Health Station Plus out of retirement last September after buying them at Boots about 8 years ago, so not sure they are still available. Great for storing our height and gender records, so can quickly measure weight in metric or old currency for oldies like me. They also measure body fat %, total body water, BMI , basal metabolic rate and muscle mass %. They are very sensitive for water and fat, so vary according to the time of day, but if used at the same time they are good for showing the general trend, up or down. They went into retirement as the trend started going up, I seem to remember, as its easy to believe that ignorence is bliss. However, even these scales need to be in the same position all the time, and for that reason I found an old marble chopping board, popular in the 70s, and placed them on that for best stability. I'm back friends with them this morning as my BMI fleetingly read 25!!!!! I was delighted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1