The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on eating patterns on feed days as I have been fasting on a Mon and thurs now on week 3 and started out fine but now noticing that I'm starting to eat more on my feed days which didn't happen at first I'm not really eating the wrong things but a lot more than I have ever done seems wrong really now ending up starving hungry on my fast days anyone having the same problem I don't think this is correct and I have lost 3 lb but now put it back on this week help
So how much of what and when are you eating on the fast days ?
On fast days I have cups of tea during the day with the milk measured out and at least 2 litres of water otherwise I get a headache then I have my meal at 6-7 pm which is either pork loin or chicken and broccoli and cauliflower or a tuna salad then a weight watchers yogurt and some grapes
Also what is your height, weight, age and exercise level please? And what are you eating on feed days?

My OH has been keeping me company but doesn't need to lose weight and despite eating more on fast days and on feed days, he has had the same experience.
height 5.4 weight 70kg age 44 don't really exercise as work full time and on my feet walking all day at work on feed days I have wholesale toast and marmalade breakfast lunch crackerbread and cheese spread and yogurt and apple then for tea I cook either spag bol shepherds pie pasta bake or meat and veg and I have mine on a side plate for portion control then in the evening which is a bad time for me I try to have just a small piece of chocolate I don't think I eat too much but perhaps I do something is going wrong
I went through exactly the same on week 3 (my thread food obsession) except I was eating all the wrong things. I have found it soon passes once the novelty wears off and your body adjusts to the two fasting days.
Oh thankyou that's reassuring as Michael said in his book thats your eating habits change for the better but mine seem to be going the wrong way I'll read your thread for some more info thanks for your reply
I made a rough calculation of your TDEE and using an exercise level of moderate because you are on your feet all day (it's all exercise as far as energy expenditure is concerned). I got a value of 2000-2400. Your feed day intake doesn't look too me like itreaches this level. As you are not really overweight I am thinking you may have the same problem as my OH. Your body thinks its starving. I think you need to increase your calories on feed days.

Could you calorie count for a few feed days to check? It's the only way really to know whether you are over or under eating. Once you know what is the right kind of intake on feed days you don't need to continue to calorie count.
I've just done my tdee and it came out at 1917 can some one please explain what this means I just want g to know how many calories I should be aiming for on non fast days for a weight lost of 1-2 lbs a week as I've got a stone to lose as I've lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks now it's gone back on in week 3
By any chance would week 3 have been 'that time of the month'? I find I don't tend to lose weigh that week, and prior to being on 5:2 would always see an increase on the scales for that week (as well as increased appetite) which would vanish the next week!
No that was last week when I lost a pound do you know what my tdee means see my question above thankyou
Tee, you should aim too eat around your TDEE on feed days...I try to go a bit under during the week so I can have some wine at the weekend. Then on fast days you can have up to a quarter of your TDEE. As yours is nearly 2000, I'd stick with the 500 on fast days but let yourself eat more on feed days. I think you'll be less hungry and will still lose weight. I expect the apparent weight gain you saw was really just water retention. Give it a month and see how things are then.
Sorry my dear, I don't worry about TDEEs etc I just eat as I normally would for 5 days and cut back to 500 or less on 2.

Did all the weight go back on in week 3?
It could be water retetion, make sure you keep drinking plenty of water/clear fluids on your feed days as well as fasts, the more you drink, the less your body has to retain.

Don't forget to measure as well as, or instead of, weighing - sometimes you'll lose inches, not lbs. If you've got scales which can measure body fat & water that's a good thing too as it means you can see if the fat is going down and whether you're holding more water at any particular weigh in.

Also, are you weighing on the same day of the week at the same time of day? Weight varies a lot throughout the day and indeed throughout the week! Personally I'd wait and see what happens next week before worrying that it's not working :)
13 posts Page 1 of 1