The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Donate your Dinner!
27 Feb 2013, 10:40
I've just had a notification on fb from Kate Harrison about an initiative she's running along with 'Just Giving' for the Trussell Trust who are responsible for setting up food banks. This is the blurb:

"DONATE YOUR DINNER is about reducing food poverty across the UK - it means contributing the cost of a sandwich, a dinner or a coffee to help people who are going hungry because they can't afford nutritious food.

The DONATE YOUR DINNER appeal is inspired by a group of dieters who realise how lucky they are to be able to eat less through choice.

We've been following The 5:2 Diet, which involves two 'fasting' days a week. It's making us healthier, and saving us money - money which can help the Trussell Trust open three new foodbanks a week - one in every town across the UK - to reduce food poverty.
- See more at: http://www.justgiving.com/DonateYourDin ... 46ywD.dpuf"

This idea appeals to me on several levels: altruistically because I think it's a disgrace people can't afford to feed themselves and their families in 21C UK, and on a more philosophical level it pinpoints the irony around me trying to lose weight and curb my eating while many people around the world haven't enough to eat (I've thought about that a lot). On a much more selfish level, it would be good to use a noble cause as a further impetus for sticking with the plan (at least I'm honest with myself!). Anyway, just thought others might be interested.
Re: Donate your Dinner!
27 Feb 2013, 11:36
This is an excellent idea. I fast on work days, so its really easy for me to see how much I'm saving, as I no longer load up my canteen card each week, which I used to use for breakfast and lunch.

Thanks for the link.
Re: Donate your Dinner!
27 Feb 2013, 12:12
Great idea indeed! Thanks for spreading the word.
3 posts Page 1 of 1