The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3910615567

Those of you who can, tune into Jeni Barnett show on BBC London 94.9FM this Sunday from 10.10-11am and listento Dr Michelle Harvie and Prof Tony Howell, authors of The 2 Day Diet talking about the diet.

Edit:

Radio show is noww online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0151rkp

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3910615567
they have a comparison of 2-day vs Fast diet at http://www.thetwodaydiet.co.uk/diet-new ... 52-Dieting

Diet Wars anyone ?
The article is heavily biased in favour of the 2-day diet (buzz words like "award winning", "extensive research", "no need for supplements", "appetite retraining" applied only to the 2-day diet). In fact the clinical trial showed much slower weight loss than we are getting according to our progress tracker which has a much bigger sample of subjects.

I expect that if the two diets were compared in a clinical trial the 5:2 would result in greater weight loss because the calorie reduction is bigger but the other health benefits would be more variable with some subjects doing better and others worse than 2-day dieters because there is no prescription as to what or when to eat on feed days. I think it is disingenuous to imply that the 5:2 needs supplements just because an unqualified person has jumped in with a book before Dr M did and recommended supplements to cover her a$$! It may be that the biggest health benefits apart from the weight loss will be derived from the time spent not eating together with the protein and carb reduction.

But and it's a big but, because the weight loss and subsequent maintenance of the loss is the most important thing in improving long term health, the best diet will be the one that can be kept going for life.

I know which I'm putting my money on!
Thanks for the link Phil. Agree with what you say Caroline, but the only thing I have a problem with in their comparison is that they class Kate Harrison's book as a distinct IF diet. Does it differ in any significant way from Dr M's? Didn't she just watch the Horizon programme like many of us - and then copy it? I haven't read her book so am happy to be corrected...
Yes, you're right and they used the opportunity to mention the fact that she recommends supplements and hence imply that 5:2 needs them!
I can't see a reason to suggest supplements on one and not the other. You could for example follow 5:2 Fast diet style and eat exactly the same as one of the Breast cancer 2-day dieters as neither is that prescriptive.

Supplements are appropriate if you don't get the necessary from your food and can't implement changes to do so.
So, reading between the lines, is the Manchester team, miffed and p****d at the success of the "Fast diet"?
They came in 3rd in the race to press, which may have impaired their fund raising. I didn't fancy giving a copy on Valentine's day !
LastChance wrote: reading between the lines, is the Manchester team, miffed and p****d at the success of the "Fast diet"?

I think so! They came up with their diet (aka the 'Milk Diet), tested it in a clinical trial, tweaked it (aka the 'Two Day Diet'), retested it, and then more than a year afterwards, launched their book. But in the meantime, and perhaps having heard about their trial results, along comes Horizon with a different and easier version - and the Genesis team are left looking like the Johnny-come-latelys. Understandable that they might feel miffed. They are trying to be polite though (and Dr M has been studiously polite about them)...
10 posts Page 1 of 1