The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Saturated Fat?
04 Mar 2013, 11:37
Hello

Wondering about Saturated fat content of food/receipes. With Weight Watchers you used to calculate Calories AND Saturated fat and turn into points. With this 5:2 diet there is no mention of Saturated Fat. Do you really not need to look at fat content in the food we eat on Fast or Feast Days?

Still not convinced about eating whatever you want on Feast Days as been brain washed into looking at Calories AND Saturated fat. Not lost much in 4 weeks just 1.5lb but yes it is a loss and yes I dont need to lose a lot. Though after 3 weeks of eating whatever I wanted on the Fast days and not really losing a great deal have now started to record what I am eating and try to eat more of a 'normal' day - 3 healthy meals, couple snacks and not too much cake/chocolate like in the first week!

x
Re: Saturated Fat?
04 Mar 2013, 13:07
Hi Elli

Well in a scientific study of alternate day fasting comparing a group of people eating a high fat diet (standard American diet so high in saturates) with those on a low fat diet, there was no difference between the two groups in terms of weight loss or improvement in blood tests. In fact the high fat group lost more fat and less "fat free mass" (i.e. everything else) than the low fast group.

So no, in fact low carb (or at least low glycaemic load/index) is theoretically the better way to go than low fat if you want to maximise the gains from fasting.

Sounds like you're cutting down on high carb stuff anyway, so that's great!
05 Mar 2013, 08:27
In terms of weight loss, it may not matter. However, in terms of long term health effects of saturated vs unsaturated fats, I still think being aware of the type of fat tou eat is a good idea. I still eat saturated fats regularly - I love cheese :-) - but in moderation. A
05 Mar 2013, 16:37
Well if you eat it in limits i mean not too much then its not actually very bad.
You should have olive oil or fish oil instead of having other kind of oils.That really works.
4 posts Page 1 of 1