The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Migraines on non-fast days
04 Mar 2013, 11:54
I have been following the 5:2 plan for about 6 weeks. I have been feeling great and have lost about 6 lbs so far. However, on Saturday I suffered a migraine. I haven't had one for about 6 years and this one came out of nowhere. Flashing lights, severe headache and still feeling terrible 2 days later.

One of my worries about fasting was that it might trigger a migraine so I was surprised that it happened 2 days after my last fast day. I've read other threads about headaches and migraines but they have all been about fast days. My migraine may be a complete co-incidence and nothing to do with fasting but I wondered if anyone has any similar experience. It's left me reluctant to try fasting again for fear of it triggering another.
Re: Migraines on non-fast days
04 Mar 2013, 14:43
That's weird because the week before last I had a migraine too, with the aura, which came and went three times - never had that happen before.

I felt terrible for a time too, and went to the Docs who said my glands were up, I was suffering from spots too. They said it was a viral infection but I also wondered about the link between migraine and 5:2 as I hadn't had a migraine for a good few months before that.

I'm not really offering any advice I know, but just wanted to say that I had a similar experience...Weird.
04 Mar 2013, 14:44
Also, since then I have been doing 6:1 - not necessarily because of that, because of other things - and I haven't had a problem since then.
04 Mar 2013, 14:48
Hi there, yes a few people have reported migraines usually towards the end of the fast day or the next day with their first fast or first few fasts. These seem to clear up though so I think it is a case of letting your body adjust to the new regime. It could also be dehydration or salt imbalance (please see my thread in the frequently asked questions board about headaches and some ideas on how to avoid them). Most people find they no longer get headaches after the first couple of fasts.
07 Mar 2013, 14:23
thanks for raising this subject, Caroline and thanks for advice Caro, yesterday was my second fast and this morning out of the blue the aura started, I tried to get rid with a strong cup of tea, but had to take pink migraleve. I haven't had a migraine for about 10 years although was plagued with them about 20 years ago. I have been wondering how I would cope with fasting when I am pmt, and now I am even more worried. Have lost 4.5 pounds in 2 weeks though, so there is no way I can give up 5:2 as I have never been able to sustain weight loss or diets before yet this feels so do-able. I also don't want to go back on tons of meds for migraine, so a bit of a problem, I will check out the faqs.
As many will know, a migraine is massively disabling, if it were just a headache I could cope.
07 Mar 2013, 15:00
I suffer migraines fairly regularly, about 1-2 a month and usually linked with the start of my period. I also get them at times of stress. While I do not suffer aura I have debilitating pain, photo-sensitivity and nausea (my mother gets aura with no pain). I have experienced more migraines recently as a result of the diet (5 weeks in) but this seems to be easing (I am ill this week so difficult to judge as I have had a headache since Sunday). I am wondering if this is part of hormesis, our bodies response to the mild stress induced by the fasting. As I know stress can be a trigger for me it would make sense.
07 Mar 2013, 15:49
Ok I'm going completely against the trend here but I usually suffer with migraine especially around totm. I'm in my 8th week of 5:2 now and so far so good. Having said that this is the second month I've got totm without realising it was due! Usually I know just by how I feel, irritable, a need to eat anything and everything sweet apart from fruit :) and nausea. Since I've been doing 5:2 nothing it took me by surprise both months but on checking the diary was right on time.

On the migraine I would say try drinking something like a nuun tablet, I noticed in summer I was getting migraine after I'd ran and although I'd drank water to rehydrate I think I needed the electrolytes. Adding nuun to my water stopped my exercise related migraine completely.
07 Mar 2013, 20:00
thanks, I will defo try for some eloctrolytes, good idea, my husband uses these for his athletic pursuits (miles and miles on a mountain bike each week - apparently the secret of doing regular exercise is to do something enjoyable :doh: ggrrrrr I wouldn't be 4 stone overweight if I had ever found exercise enjoyable) :oops:

sorry for rant
08 Mar 2013, 19:39
I don't normally get headaches. But I have noticed since starting 5:2 I do sometimes get them on fast days. They generally go away with a cup of black coffee and some acetaminophin/tylenol (I think you call it parace***** tasomething - can't quite remember!).

Thankfully they aren't migraines.

I have also noticed my totm sneaking up on me since 5:2! I'm grateful to not have the cramps or the urge to throw something at someone!
08 Mar 2013, 20:33
Should I add some US/UK translations to the wiki?

ASA (acetyl salicylic acid) = aspirin
Acetaminophen = paracetamol

Best to have paracetamol on a fast day rather than aspirin as the latter should only be taken with food really.
08 Mar 2013, 20:59
I suffer from Migraines and also link them to my monthly cycle. I have been 5:2ing for 8 weeks now and have just realised that I haven't had a headache for at least 4 weeks. I'm wondering if my weight loss (12lbs now) and new W.O.E has helped my headaches. Lets hope so as they are awful and really knock you out for a few days.
11 posts Page 1 of 1