6 posts Page 1 of 1
3 million Diabetes cases in UK
04 Mar 2013, 22:03
Interesting & frightening article at the Beeb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21630812

90% is Type 2 (overweight/obese)

A warning for us all, no doubt :frown:
Be plenty more if they follow the diet advice of Diabetes UK :-(
According to Dr M on Australian radio the other day there are trials of fasting in diabetes going on now. Also there is a Facebook group member (and here but rarely seen) who is a researcher in diabetes who has applied for funding to study 5:2 from the point of view of protecting against diabetes.
I find 3million a shocking figure. My journey into the world of IF has opened my eyes as to the causes of type 2 diabetes, but when I read that the likes of Ran Fiennes (recently diagnosed) and Steve Redgrave are diabetic part of me wonders does it really matter what I do to try and avoid it? Maybe the extreme exercise that these 2 men have undergone have had a long term negative effect.
Reading Mike Stroud's book "Survival of the fittest", in the chapter on his trans antarctic trip with Ran Fiennes he mentions that they recorded blood glucose levels of 0.2 and 0.3mmol/l (and mentions that such low levels would normally mean someone should be dead), and now Ran Fiennes has type 2 diabetes...
I though Steve Redgrave was diabetic before his Olympic successes? I imagine if you are eating huge amounts of calories to fuel such extreme endeavours then it could precipitate diabetes, especially as high cortisol levels are also diabetogenic, so the stress involved could add to the high calorie effect.
" In September 1997, Diabetes mellitus type 1 was added to his list of ailments" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Redgrave so not Type II (unless it's a Wikifail).
6 posts Page 1 of 1