The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I satrted this WOE on 19th Feb and have seen good results: weightloss, less bloating, skin clearer, better sleeping patterns. However the last few days seem to have reached a little bit of a downer.

Inadvert fast day on Wednesday, was working a 13 hour shift, rushed off my feet, by the time I had a chance to consider a break it was 5pm so I used this as a fast day, previous fast day was Monday. Coupled with the fact I was so busy I hardly had time to drink, my urine (sorry TMI) was really concentrated. Yesterday was another 13 hour shift but I didn't fancy using it as a fast day so I had poached eggs on wholemeal toast at 6am before heading out to work. Again another busy day, didn't have the chance to drink and didn't get my break until 5pm. Ate a homemade chicken curry with steamed rice. Once home at 9.30pm I had a beef and bean sprout stir fry and allowed myself a little treat of a scone. So today is a day off, I feel exhausted, my joints and muscles ache all over and I am really bloated, clothes still feel looser but my tummy is defintately bloated. Also to really put a downer on it I weigh 4lbs heavier than I did last weekend.

Just wondering, as I'm not hungry yet or had anything to eat, should I do another fast day again today or is this down to something else like dehydration?
The science people would be better advisers but I seem to remember stress causing higher levels of cortisol and this can cause gains perhaps through hanging onto to fluids through hypertension?? Anyone have a better handle on it.? Try a healthy rest day with lots of fluids and fresh veg.
I agree with Caro (well I would, such a good name ;-)) yes don't fast today, eat well and ensure you get enough calories rather than try to restrict yourself. In fact, wait until next week before fasting again. I had a long weekend off a short while ago and ate loads, when I started fasting again suddenly lots of weight dropped off!
Thanks both of you.

Just decided to make a fruit smoothie with some fresh orange juice, bananas and strawberries. It'll hopefully kickstart some hunger for me.
You mention being sore, so I wouldn't put it past it simply being a case of increased water retention in your muscles due to your hectic work schedule.

Bloating can also mask weight-loss, which can even lead the scale (from my experiences) to appear like you "gained weight", albeit temporary.

Remember it takes an addition 3500kcals on top of your regular food intake for you to gain REAL weight (1 lb), and I highly doubt you consumed an additional 14000 kcals in a matter of a week to see a 4lb gain.

Get some rest, and stick to your eating schedule.

Good luck!
Sincere, the way you say that makes so much sense. I knew about the 3500 calorie deficit = 1lb loss, but had never thought about it the other way round. I have really feasted today (after my earlier post) but also drank lots of fluid. Joint and muscle pain continues, about to have my second soak of the day in a nice hot bath and contemplate what you've just said :smile:
I had muscle and joint pain at the end of my last fast, it turns out it is flu and nothing to do with the fast, so Im not fasting again until ive shifted this horrid flu.
Hope you feeling better - don't despair .... Read dr mosley's book if you haven't already and keep checking the forum if you need encouragement! It helps to know of all the benefits of this WOE as well as possible/probable weight loss. Meanwhile just wanted to say that am convinced that wheat gluten is contributory factor to bloating and joint pain. So perhaps try eating really well on your non fast days but keep away from ordinary bread scones pasta and see if it helps. If like me you crave those sort of things then try some of the gluten free alternatives (even bagels come gluten free now!) also Eat Natural make some fab dark chocolate and nut snack bars which are gluten free and feel like a real treat with a cup of coffee! Good luck !
8 posts Page 1 of 1