The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Uterine fibroids and fasting
12 Mar 2013, 14:19
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has had any success shrinking fibroids and fasting? I've been doing 5:2 for 8 weeks now. I think i've lost a few inches but still have a fibroid belly :confused: I'm in the healthy BMI range but sometimes look about 4 months pregnant! Does anyone know of any studies?

Thanks.
Not seen anything credible. My wife just had surgery for them. There was talk of injections (repeat) and the like to reduce them but this was effectively bringing forward the menopause by chemical means.

Sorry.
I wouldn't expect any studies either, because as far as I can see there is no biologically plausible mechanism that would make them shrink through fasting. Basically it's genetics and estrogens.
They may appear after menopause (but then again, not all of them do that either).
Thanks, I thought as much, but i would say that fasting does ease some of the symptoms :-)
Leiomyomas are virtually pure smooth muscle and pretty hard/firm when compared to the normal uterus. I can't see much scope for fasting resulting in shrinkage.
As oestrogen accumulates in adipose tissue, losing weight by fasting, rather than the fasting itself may help by reducing oestrogen.
I don't know if this helps as its not the same but I have always suffered very heavy periods, to the extent that a couple of years ago I was offered a hysterectomy. No thanks. Instead I take tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid to reduce the blood flow.......but since fasting it is not nearly as bad and is getting better every month.
carorees wrote: As oestrogen accumulates in adipose tissue, losing weight by fasting, rather than the fasting itself may help by reducing oestrogen.

Sorry, but that is rather unlikely. Like Phil T said, you have to push someone practically into menopause artificially for a prolonged time to achieve some effect, and even that doesn't work in all fibroids. And fortunately (!) weight loss doesn't put you into menopause.
Coffecat wrote:
carorees wrote: As oestrogen accumulates in adipose tissue, losing weight by fasting, rather than the fasting itself may help by reducing oestrogen.

Sorry, but that is rather unlikely. Like Phil T said, you have to push someone practically into menopause artificially for a prolonged time to achieve some effect, and even that doesn't work in all fibroids. And fortunately (!) weight loss doesn't put you into menopause.

Link between obesity and fibroids: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22096007
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18230910
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20414843

Weight loss reduces oestrogen: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22614972

Also indicators that the aetiology of fibroids might be affected by growth factors (which may be affected by fasting)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18534913
I think the three pubmed links tell us that getting fat may be a precursor to fibroids but don't seem to say anything about using diet to treat an existing condition ?

"In logistic regression analysis, fibroids were statistically significantly associated with being overweight and hypertensive"
Just pointing out that theoretically it's not impossible. The problem with looking at studies and statistics it's that one can forget that there are always some people out on the end of the normal curve! So unlikely but not necessarily impossible!
Your doctor doesn't feel you need to have your fibroids removed?
Hi Kamicahan, I dont know if fasting will help but I had my fibroids 'zapped'by 'Uterine artery embolization'.Minimally invasive and worked like a charm for me.My Doc wanted me to have a hyster. I told him 'no way'.
My reply is a little OT but I thought I'd tell you.
Talk to your doctor. Depending on the size, your age, any other medical issues you may or may not need to have them removed unless you're having symptoms. I had mine removed and I'm in my mid 40's. I saw a couple doctors, one laughed at me for wanting to have them removed, saying they'd shrink after menopause but I was having issues. Another said, wait and see and third, remove them which I did and I was so glad I did. I know what you mean about the belly thing, they press against your abdomen wall and make you look pregnant. There's nothing wrong with getting a second or third opinion.

But yes, losing a few pounds around the middle can help some, but won't solve the underlying issue.
'Also indicators that the aetiology of fibroids might be affected by growth factors (which may be affected by fasting)'
Thanks Caroline - Would that be a link between fibroids and IGH-1?

Cuddly and Stomar- thanks for the advice. I had the UAE procedure three years ago- worked a treat but new ones are starting to grow and i had a large fibroid that only shrunk a small amount but at least it's not growing anymore... only symptom is pressure on the bladder, bit of a pain with all the water i'm drinking on 5:2!
16 posts Page 1 of 2