The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Acid reflux and fasting?
14 Mar 2013, 15:46
I am on my third fast day (5:2 approach) and finding it very manageable. BUT I am getting mild acid reflux. Not painful etc and not dramatic. But stomach contents (mainly acid as nothing else there towards the end of the fast from 7 p.m. one day to evening meal of next day) rising into my throat.

Is this common? Normal? To be expected?
Re: Acid reflux and fasting?
14 Mar 2013, 19:27
I have no idea, but I am going to move this question down to the general health forum so that hopefully people can find it and help you out :-)
14 Mar 2013, 20:10
Hi Kstep,
I have exactly the same problem on fast days, but nothing major, so I hadn't given it a thought until now. It would be interesting to know if others get it though.
21 Mar 2013, 02:36
Hi Evie, Kstep and everyone else.

It is probably just a coincidence, but I also seem to have developed acid reflux for the first time ever since starting on 5:2 and have just been prescribed Omerprazole by my doctor.

While I have lost about 9 lb in 8 weeks, stopping eating when I feel full has always been a bit of an alien concept to me (my BMI is 40) and possibly the volume of (largely but not exclusively healthy) food that I am eating on my non-fast days is too much? Again, possibly a co-incidence, but this started after doing 4:3 for a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts, or other similar experiences, would be appreciated.
21 Mar 2013, 03:27
I've had problems with acid reflux for years (caused initially by an illness). I didn't find a problem on my first fast day, but I am used to drinking plenty of water to partially control the problem and alleviate the stomach pain (part of the lining is damaged). today is my 2nd fast day and I'll keep track of how things go. Basically if I need to take Gaviscon then things aren't good.
21 Mar 2013, 07:12
Interesting. I used to suffer from regular acid reflux. It was a trigger for my asthma. After a couple of years of taking Rennies to temporarily cover up the problem, I was advised to start taking Betaine HCl tablets - just one a day after one of my main meals (this was before I started fasting). I was very surprised to find that they worked.

Now that I'm fasting I'm reluctant to take Betaine HCl on a fast day. I've not experienced a recurrence of the problem though.
21 Mar 2013, 08:07
I've had that problem before I started fasting but none since. Weight loss should improve it as the pressure on the internal organs by the fat is reduced!
21 Mar 2013, 08:11
Hi. I'm the same as Caroline and used to have mild acid reflux until I started fasting. It's so much better now as I continue to lose weight. In fact I've only had it slightly when I've eaten too much on a 'normal' day.
Good luck with it.
21 Mar 2013, 08:16
I'm the same as Caroline, acid reflux disappeared since starting 5:2. Mine used to be triggered by bread & high sugar foods, not eating as much of those now so assumed that is why it's better.
21 Mar 2013, 08:29
Hi There

I have GERD Gastro Reflux Disease and am on imeprozole tablets 3 x a day - and i'm on my 11th fast and haven't found any problem - but as i've said i was already on the medication prior to 5:2
21 Mar 2013, 08:48
I agree with Caroline and Ginty. Mine has gone now for the same reasons as theirs.
21 Mar 2013, 08:52
I expect it will disappear once we've got some serious weight loss under our belts, logically it has to improve.
I'm assuming that the only reason we get it just on fast days is that the acid in the stomach doesn't have any food to 'work on' and therefore plays up a bit, but for me, it is a very minor discomfort, no need for tablets or anything, so I'm just waiting for it to settle down.
21 Mar 2013, 09:46
I used to suffer from acid reflux, had an operation a couple of years ago to fix it, but still suffer sometimes.

I do find that going a long time without food or water causes a problem, but try drinking water regularly as this helps, and the reduction in fatty foods should also help.
22 Mar 2013, 19:52
carorees wrote: I've had that problem before I started fasting but none since. Weight loss should improve it as the pressure on the internal organs by the fat is reduced!

Not got much weight on my internal organs! Not sure of BMI but am 5ft 4ins and in size 12 clothes. Which is fine for a 62 yesr old.
22 Mar 2013, 19:55
Evie wrote: I expect it will disappear once we've got some serious weight loss under our belts, logically it has to improve.
I'm assuming that the only reason we get it just on fast days is that the acid in the stomach doesn't have any food to 'work on' and therefore plays up a bit, but for me, it is a very minor discomfort, no need for tablets or anything, so I'm just waiting for it to settle down.

That would be an issue for me if I lost too much weight! 7lbs would be good but any more would br bad!
15 posts Page 1 of 1