The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

It was my first fast day today and I use the website of FitBit (www.fitbit.com) to track my calories.
I had 3 "meals" and the main thing I focused on was staying under the 500 kcal.
Now I noticed that I had a lot of carbs.

Calories = 496
Daily Calorie Composition: 71% from carbs, 13% from fat and 16% from protein.

Is this ok or should I try to get more fat and/or protein?

Thanks

Sandy
Carbs are usually big calorie hitters - I find keeping them low on fast days is a big help.

There's a debate about getting too much protein on a fast day - try to keep it under 50g (that's pretty easy when you're working with only 500 calories!)

Fat will be another one that is easy to mount up calories with - BUT, good fats are essential for good health, so it can be counter-productive to go for a low-fat approach.

For your first fast - if you stayed under 500, well done!
Hi Sandy,
You can spend your cals on what you like, a lot of people on here find a load of veggies & a little protein keep the hunger pangs at bay better than carbohydrates but its a matter of personal preference as long as you keep within your 500 limit then that's okay.

Well done on getting through your 1st fast.
Just worked out my fast day balance for yesterday:
16g of fat = 150 cals
32g of carbs = 130 cal
36g of protein = 150 cal
(approximate values as I don't use mfp)
So roughly a third from each.

We think that protein should be kept down to around 60g on fast days to gain a reduction in IGF1 and hopefully a reduced risk of cancer. How much protein should be eaten on fast days is uncertain. Big debate about this though in the nerdy stuff section!
carorees wrote: 16g of fat = 150 cals
32g of carbs = 130 cal
36g of protein = 150 cal
(approximate values as I don't use mfp)
So roughly a third from each.

A balanced diet then :smile:
Pooky-san wrote: Calories = 496
Daily Calorie Composition: 71% from carbs, 13% from fat and 16% from protein.

16% protein is pretty close to that used in several clinical studies of fasting, so it's hard to argue with that.

I doubt 7g of fat is giving you all you need, so I would try to get that up a bit at the expense of carbs to ensure you have the omega-3s and the like.
6 posts Page 1 of 1