The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Any ideas on how to avoid weight gain whilst on holiday in America? Unsure if should try to stick to 500 cals for the 2 usual days or just try to eat sensibly those days instead. Would hate to come back heavier; last time I went to America I returned 5lbs heavier but on that occasion wasn't watching what I ate plus ate out for all meals bar one breakfast and one dinner. Also drank loads. Anyone been on a challenging holiday :?:
I bet you'll find your appetite isn't as big any more so suggest you enjoy yourself and don't step on the scales until you've been home for at least a week. Even if you have a gained a little bit, you know 5:2 will shift it off pretty quickly.
We have a caravan where we laze about and treat ourselves. I used always to put weight on but we were there last month for a week and without doing any real fasting, I avoided snacking and came home 1lb lighter. First time ever,
PS Hope you have a wonderful time,
Eat the food, split the meals with someone, don't worry about weight, have a good time.
Plus if the opportunity arises to skip a meal...do so! Knowing that skipping lunch won't cause you to fall over from weakness enables you to maximize sightseeing activities!
Just have a good time!

Ask for extra salad with meals
Dont clear the plate, always leave some behind, you know you can survive without food for almost a day, so leaving some on your plate wont kill you
Share a dessert
Walk alot
If ever your at a moment where you arnt doing anything/waiting for someone etc jog on the spot as fast as you can maybe? That little bit of exercise may help.
Just have it in your head to make sensible choices with what you have available....i dont mean avoid that burger, cos you gotta have a treat....but have a smaller one, with no sauce and lots of salad!
You'll be traveling in my part of the world, although we live on the coast. Enjoy your trip- the weather this weekend looks lovely!
You're on holiday, enjoy it! I'm willing to bet you'll be much more aware of what you're eating this time & will naturally go for the healthier option.
Have a great time.
1st and foremost have a good time - it's your holiday. Have a few treats but at the same time isn't it nice to know that you can go for all that time without food and, as Carorees says, you won't fall over from weakness :smile: I like the advice about not getting on the scales for at least a week when you get home - I think I'll take heed of that myself. I'm off house sitting in Africa for 6 weeks in July - think I might have to wait a fortnight before weighing myself on my return. Have a FAB time in Orlando - say hello to Mickey from all of us here :like:
Son and I spent 3 weeks in California last summer - LA and Mammoth Lakes. LA Marriott was too expensive to eat in so each morning was a 30 mins walk to Subway and back, evening meals similar 30 mins walk at McD's or pizza shop. Once in Mammoth we could get proper food at the Good Earth cafe - fish tacos and vegetarian burritos, with monster cheesecake portions, extra chips or baked potatoes as necessary - but we were out all day walking the trails at altitude (up to 11,000 ft), climbing or biking. These long days were equivalent to mini-fasts, I suppose, so when we got home we had both lost weight. Which we both replaced by Xmas, and which I have now got rid of again, thanks to 5:2!
Hello to you all!
I have been watching the forum since I started 5:2 last month but have not plucked up the courage to write. However, this topic inspired me as I am going to New York on Wednesday for four weeks (well someone has to do these things!) and I have spent the last few weeks working out my eating plan.

I intend to Try to still do two fasts a week and just eat a small meal in the evening, but if things prove too difficult I will just try to skip meals if and when I can.
Thought I'd update this topic. Didn't stick to 5:1 in Orlando but damage only 3lbs which lost easily. Then things became sluggish - the weight lost slowed down. Went to Spain with hubbie last 2 weeks JUne. Lasted one day on 500 cals then rest of time went to pot. Again 3lb weight gain. But again back on 5:1 and am now at lowest weight for past 6 years so happy. Tracker says I'm only losing 0.8lbs a week but at lease I'm not starving and the weight loss is steady even if a little slow for my liking. I find the 500 days easy - usually do at work when have little time to think about food. But if at home I find if I eat around 11am (usually poached egg and smoked salmon) tnen evening meal of around 320 cals at 7pm. Can also still have couple cups tea with skimmed milk so very happy. I've got some good clothes which I'm going to see on ebay so hopefully can earn a bit to help buy new ones!!
13 posts Page 1 of 1