The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 1 of 2
Is anyone else in the UK finding the fast days difficult at the moment with this prolonged winter? I began yesterday as a fast day but in the end the cold weather really got to me an I caved in, opting for some hot and spicy food. I feel the cold anyway but yesterday found it unbearable without food in my belly. I was chilled to the bone and extremely irritable. Once I caved in my mood improved and I coped much better with the weather. I'm feeling a little guilty this morning and intend to give it another go tomorrow.
Hot & spicy veg soup is the answer to this with mixed beans for substance. Not a watery soup, almost half way to veggie chilli.
I'm the same, Jenny.
I just put my big cardy on :grin: ...sorry, couldn't help it! :oops:
I was surprised at how cold I felt on fast days, I rely on a hot water bottle in the evening and have recently added a blanket to that too! There was a very helpful post by Caroline viewtopic.php?f=10&t=390.
Now when I feel cold I remind myself that it may be burning fat!
Thanks. I do have hot soup on my fast days and wear plenty of layers but yesterday none of it helped. This bad weather really affects my mood too (I'm a sun seeker) so add that to the grumpiness caused by fasting = a very unhappy bunny. I expect this to be much easier in the summer when it's easier to eat less.
Jenny wrote: Thanks. I do have hot soup on my fast days and wear plenty of layers but yesterday none of it helped. This bad weather really affects my mood too (I'm a sun seeker) so add that to the grumpiness caused by fasting = a very unhappy bunny. I expect this to be much easier in the summer when it's easier to eat less.

Completely agree.
I'm not liking the cold either - today I have the day off so can do things round the house. Sitting still is the worst for making me feel cold even with lots of layers on (I've got about 4 on at the moment!).
I never feel cold but do on this. Have to wrap blankets and dogs round my feet and take my bottle to bed. Hence the soup!

But even my non-diet friends are cold and miserable, this is really awful weather.
Up till now I have always considered myself to be a winter person, not liking hot weather at all and never really feeling the cold.
Since starting this WOL I have never been so cold even on non fast days, but I am wrapping up in a lovely fluffy dressing gown till I warm up :wink:
I just keep telling myself how much easier it will be when the weather improves.
Instead of relying on soup I will enjoy a lovely leafy salad with grilled chicken on fish.
There are some lovely fresh soups available though - very filling and interesting flavours.
It has been freezing in New England as well, and I don't even turn the heat on. I take hot baths, go for walks, drink hot tea, and put on warm clothes. But I never miss a fast because of it.
This cold weather has gone on far too long, I love my soups in winter but psychologically I feel I should now be on salads! :confused:
If I keep moving I don't feel the cold but notice I'm freezing within 5 mins of sitting down, my OH will probably have kittens when the gas bill comes in :shock:
I put the heating on, life's too short to be cold. Fortunately, new house was previously occupied by elderly people and is insulated well which helps.
If it helps, there is good evidence that cold exposure is good for us. It increases thyroid function, stimulates production of brown adipose tissue which generates more heat keeping us warmer and burning up more calories and like other forms of mild stress makes us stronger! So let's embrace it!
22 posts Page 1 of 2