The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Do you eat all 500 calories?
02 Apr 2013, 20:27
On a fast day, do you make sure you eat 500 calories, or do you stay under a bit or alot?

Also does it make a difference?

Cos all my fast days have gone from being 1 or 2 calories short of 500 to today, where im over 100 calories short of 500, but i just dont want anything else.
Hi I wouldn't worry too much about eating 500 calories exactly, depending on your TDEE your allowance might only be 400!
Don't think we know yet whether it makes a difference, Caroline & some of the others seem to be doing a lot of research for us so maybe in the near future they will be able to give us all the answers.
Sometimes I eat less, sometimes I go to an even 500. If I;m not hungry, I won;t push meself to eat more and reach 500.
My allowance is fewer than 500...
Mine too but Dr M said to not go under 500...
TML13 wrote: Mine too but Dr M said to not go under 500...

Do you have the reference for that? My understanding is that less on fasting days works equally as well. Just wondering what the rationale would be for not going under 500... :confused:
tompan wrote: Do you have the reference for that? My understanding is that less on fasting days works equally as well. Just wondering what the rationale would be for not going under 500... :confused:

He said it in response to a question on his blog from memory. I don't think he ever said "TDEE / 4" but "a quarter of your recommended calories - 500 for a woman..." and when someone said her TDEE was 1600 or whatever he said stick to 500.

In part it will be a PR move to avoid criticism for suggesting small women eat 350 calories I guess.
PhilT wrote:
tompan wrote: Do you have the reference for that? My understanding is that less on fasting days works equally as well. Just wondering what the rationale would be for not going under 500... :confused:

He said it in response to a question on his blog from memory. I don't think he ever said "TDEE / 4" but "a quarter of your recommended calories - 500 for a woman..." and when someone said her TDEE was 1600 or whatever he said stick to 500.

In part it will be a PR move to avoid criticism for suggesting small women eat 350 calories I guess.

Thanks, Phil!
I have about 700, because my TDEE is around 2800. Personally I can't imagine wanting to eat less than I was allowed, but each to their own. :-)
I generally eat less just because.
I saved most of mine for supper last night. Grilled chicken and steamed veggies. It was too much to eat! I would have felt better eating 1/2 to 3/4 of the veggies. But if I did that, it would be less than the 500 calories.

Maybe I'll go back to having a little something midday. Who knows? I'm still trying to find what works best for me.
I do find if I eat 500 my weight loss is less so generally stick to 300 but I know if I do fall off the wagon I have 200 to play with in emergencies and no real harm is done!
I only have an evening meal so try to make it 500, it is often under as I find I cannot eat so much. I am happy with the one meal so don't want to add another snack. Will weigh on Saturday so don't know if I have lost this month.
I tend to gate hungry very late in the evening so I leave about 100 for then. I don't use them all, all the time, so sometimes I eat less but not on purpose.
18 posts Page 1 of 2