The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Diet/sugar free fizzy drink
03 Apr 2013, 08:29
Coke, Pepsi, Lemonade, flavoured water (eugh, can't stand it myself) - should it be avoided when fasting? I must admit to being partial to big glasses of Pepsi Max to get me through at times, especially in the evening when I'm rather "tea-d out" and fancy something sweet.

Having read a bit about it, it would seem it's not a good idea.

Whaddaya think?
Re: Diet/sugar free fizzy drink
03 Apr 2013, 08:53
First you have to pick your single issue :grin:

Calorie free drinks fit in with fasting plans, sugar free can't be accused of hiking insulin levels (clinical trials of artificial sweeteners do not show an imbalance in glucose/insulin balance even if some find a small apparent glucose response).

If you believe that Nutrapoison will rot your brain you might want to go steady on the Pepsi Max, or you may want to take the opportunity to wean yourself off sweetness.
03 Apr 2013, 09:09
I am very anti artificial sweeteners, so you have a point there.

Maybe keep a couple of cans handy for emergencies only.
03 Apr 2013, 09:16
An old trick used to be putting a dirty copper penny in a glass of Coke or Pepsi because it cleans it brilliantly, so what does it do to your stomach?
03 Apr 2013, 10:01
Previous debate on this subject (warning...long thread!): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119
03 Apr 2013, 10:03
My daily drinks on all days are, mornings a couple of black coffees or with a splash of koko milk (100ml = 27cal).Afternoons Twinnings fruit teas nothing added, can be drunk hot or cold (2 cals each) and in between water. I enjoy Wine at weekends, red or small measure of white in a long glass topped up with soda.
I can't drink coke/pepsi anymore after doing the penny trick a few years ago, (used to love Bacardi and coke) then I read about artifical sweetners so I stay clear of all diet drinks, I also find them too sweet for my taste now. :smile:
03 Apr 2013, 10:20
carorees wrote: Previous debate on this subject (warning...long thread!): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119

Thanks for this, I've read it and will stick to keeping a couple of cans for "emergencies", but stop drinking it regularly.

Oh, and I have always before gone with "the real stuff in moderation". I don't let my daughter have the sugar free stuff, but give her fizzy drinks as treats only instead.
03 Apr 2013, 11:55
Isis wrote: An old trick used to be putting a dirty copper penny in a glass of Coke or Pepsi because it cleans it brilliantly, so what does it do to your stomach?

Nothing, your stomach is already acid (which is all that the above demonstrates)
03 Apr 2013, 12:26
Apart from the BMD connection (shown statistically but not necessarily causally?), there doesn't seem to be much to be said against diet drinks except that 'artificial' tag. And what about diet drinks made with these new 'natural sweeteners' (stevia et al) [they must exist, though I haven't seen any]?

Gorging on pepsi max might not be a good idea, but I'm not going to worry too much about having a fizzy drink and will still usually choose diet over full sugar when I have the choice...
03 Apr 2013, 12:32
I am anti-diet drinks. I think they are totally addictive. If I want something flavorful I might have a flavored seltzer (no sugar) or hot water with lemon. If I'm going to have sugar in my life I go for the real stuff. For example, a friend just gave me a large container of raw honey from his farm. I love honey. I put a dab of that raw honey in my coffee this morning with cream and it is wonderful. But I refuse to touch the fake stuff. It really freaks me out... I mean, where does it come from???
03 Apr 2013, 17:41
I was on a no-sugar kick for a time and relied on artificially sweetened drinks, until I heard that people that drink them get fatter. Not sure of the science but that had happened to me. So I stopped. Lately if I want something fizzy, I go with club soda.

Having said that, if the Pepsi Max gets you through, then why not have it? If you find you aren't getting what you want from 5:2, then consider cutting it out.
03 Apr 2013, 18:25
Rufus wrote: I am anti-diet drinks. I think they are totally addictive.

I dont find them addictive. I only have them on fast days - one diet bitter lemon or tonic water as a treat when I get in from work, before my supper. It makes the meal into an occassion, which I value. Otherwise I only drink tea/cofffee, water, wine or real ale :grin:
05 Apr 2013, 14:59
Minumonline wrote:
Rufus wrote: I am anti-diet drinks. I think they are totally addictive.

I dont find them addictive. I only have them on fast days - one diet bitter lemon or tonic water as a treat when I get in from work, before my supper. It makes the meal into an occassion, which I value. Otherwise I only drink tea/cofffee, water, wine or real ale :grin:

Well, if you like beer your're in the right place then! Harveys is lovely. :smile:
05 Apr 2013, 16:22
I drink a lot of low-cal tonic water (sometimes with a few drops of angostura bitters) I like it because it's not really sweet, but now I'm wondering if it's bad for me... Any idea?
02 May 2013, 22:19
I never liked carbonated drinks til I started dieting, and got bored with water and herbal teas all day long. So, occasionally I'll have a soda. I don't want to do the usual artificial sweeteners, but I've found two different brands of Stevia (and erythitrol) sweetened soda pops at my local supermarkets. One is called Zevia, and the other comes from a company called Blue Sky, which is out of Canada. The Blue Sky ones have stronger flavor. I always get their Jamaican Ginger, which tastes to me like real ginger-ale should. That info probably only helps those of us in the US and Canada, but maybe Whole Foods in the UK, and health-food stores everywhere would have something similar.
18 posts Page 1 of 2