The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

38 posts Page 1 of 3
Need to lose 60+ Lbs
03 Apr 2013, 20:01
Boy, do I have a long way to go! Anyone else out there facing this kind of battle? To add difficulty, I currently can't exercise due to a mystery pain in my knees. My doctor can find no reason for it. He's so kind not to say my weight is the cause...
Re: Need to lose 60+ Lbs
03 Apr 2013, 20:14
Hi Dragonheart & welcome!

Well done you've taken the 1st step to losing the weight & that's the hardest step to take.

Lots of us on here don't do any exercise so you're not alone there!

Make use of the forum, it's a very friendly place & you'll get lots of support here.
03 Apr 2013, 20:15
Hi there, yep I got a long way to go to but that's fine I'm up for it.
Like yourself I can't exercise but I move the best I can and basically any movement is better than none.
Take your time and look around, there is so much info and support here, don't be afraid to experiment to find what suites you best, good luck to you x
03 Apr 2013, 20:17
Hi Dragonheart
There are many people here in your situation, so I'm sure you will find kindred spirits. Meanwhile Welcome :smile:

Take it one day at a time, there is loads of valuable advice about every aspect of 5:2 buried in this forum. Planning is the key to a sucessful Fast for me - what I'm going to eat and when, so I don;t have to think about it "on the hoof!

Good Luck and enjoy your first Fast
:like:
03 Apr 2013, 20:30
Welcome, Dragonheart, to this forum. I don't have as much weight as you to lose but there are others on here with similar amounts. Be prepared to be in it for the long haul but you will be able to do it! I am finding it a brilliant way to lose weight. It has changed my whole relationship with food and I have lost 15lb in nine weeks. My husband has lost 13.5 lb over the same length of time. Neither of us take any exercise and that doesn't seem to have slowed down our weight loss. We have about nine pounds to go and then we will be on maintenance, probably for life!

Use the forum for advice, support and distraction. If you have specific questions use the 'Search' facility and you will probably find an answer. If not, someone on here will be able to point you, in the right direction.

Good luck with your weight-loss adventure!
03 Apr 2013, 20:37
Hello and welcome!
First of all, people who have a lot to lose, lose a lot of weight in the beginning which means that you will probably start well and build your confidence.
Secondly, had your doctor asked you to do any blood tests for rheumatoid or plain arthritis? Or Fybromyalgia? If not, please tell him to test you for those. Mystery pains in women many times are caused by these.
03 Apr 2013, 22:22
Dragonheart wrote: Boy, do I have a long way to go! Anyone else out there facing this kind of battle? To add difficulty, I currently can't exercise due to a mystery pain in my knees. My doctor can find no reason for it. He's so kind not to say my weight is the cause...

Welcome Dragonheart,
I have found it an easy diet, but it is a lifestyle change. I have been on the diet 6 months and lost 14 cm from my waist and 4 cm from my hips.
It is not a rapid fix, but is us easy. So if you are in for the long haul you can expect some good results.
Take heart and enjoy yourself.
That pain in your knees will probably go soon...
Best wishes,
Peter
03 Apr 2013, 22:34
I am in the same boat. So far I've lost 8 lbs. in 4 wks on this diet. I like to jog (so far I've done a 5k, 10k, and a half) and I always find that the first mile is always the worst for me (legs just ache) but that it subsides after that. A little crazy but it works for me. In UK speak, I am 15 stone. Somehow that sounds better than 210 lbs. Looking to get down to 150 and then from there we'll see.

Jen
03 Apr 2013, 22:38
Hi Dragonheart,

There are plenty of us on this forum with a lot of weight to shift, we are all in it for the long haul. This way of eating is a fabulous way to completely revamp your attitude to food and change things for good, I think.

I'd like to do some more strenuous exercise but I'm just to big to be leaping around so that's for later. I'm doing Pilates twice a week and have just started H.I.T. Exercise as well which involves an exercise bike and just 3 minutes a week. It improves your cardiovascular fitness and insulin sensitivity. Carorees is the expert on that if you're interested.

Anyway.... Welcome to the club.
03 Apr 2013, 23:02
Catscratch, is that some kind of spinning? I use to do it before it went in fashion, like 20 or so years ago. I'm not allowed to do it anymore but it provided good results.
04 Apr 2013, 01:18
*Puts hand up*
I'm in the same boat as you Dragonheart. A little each week and we will get there eventually :)
04 Apr 2013, 01:45
Aww me too - Regarding exercise and sore knees - i had problems with my feet so I bought a recumbrant bike - I don't like it too much tho BUT if you want to exercise with a sore knee that's an option or acqua aerobics also.
You will lose weight anyway with the 5:2 so don't stress about the exercise bit.
I started a calorie restriction diet in January (1250cals a day) - religiously counting on my phone app. I did lose 12 kgs in 8 weeks so it was a good start.
I'm sure my feet appreciate less to hold up so now I'm doing some walking just to get fitter not as a weight loss method as such.
I'm just adapting to the 5:2 way now.
I've got another 25 - 30 kgs to go.
So you are not alone here.
And as someone already said the more you have to lose the quicker it will start to go which does boost your confidence and gives you the motivation to continue.
It will happen - don't lose heart. :heart:
04 Apr 2013, 07:57
Hi

You will get loads of support and excellent advice, you have found a good place to begin your 5:2 way of life. I lost 4 stone (56lbs) before I started 5:2 and since mid Jan when I started have lost another 10 pounds which is slow compared with some but its in the right direction. As far as exercise goes I too had knee pain and found I could manage swimming, or any movement in a pool might help like walking against the resistance of the water, I think they do that in aquarobic classes as Marie mentioned. But don't worry about exercise yet. Experiment with 5:2, find what works for you and go for it. :clover:
04 Apr 2013, 07:57
I am so impressed with you all. I only have a bit to go and I get disheartened because the increments are so small - but you guys are so determined.

I just say to myself calories in/calories out. Eventually something has got to happen!!
04 Apr 2013, 08:29
Caro, chill out and don't stress :wink: you will get where you want to be. My BMI is still over 30 and my weight loss is slow but I am now in a UK size 16 from a 24 and loving life especially doing 5:2 where a little of what you fancy does your morale good. No more food restrictions although I do watch my carb and sugar intake because I know thats what puts my weight on. Hang in there chick and remember its not all about weight loss, think about the health benefits it may hopefully bring. :smile:
38 posts Page 1 of 3