The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Maybe this has been covered on this forum already but an idea came to me and would like to get your thoughts.

Given that it takes reducing your calorie intake by approximately 3500 a week to lose 1 lb isn't this WOE really just a calorie reduction but instead of trying to reduce it over the entire week you are reducing it on your 2 fast days. For example, if your TDEE is 2000 and you reduce that by 1500 calories 2x a week you are saving 3000 calories a week and would lose almost 1 lb if you ate 2000 calories on the other 5 days.....so depending on each persons actual TDEE and how much you truly ate on your feed days, wouldn't that determine how much weight you lost that week?

I think this WOE is brilliant as it removes the "diet" mentality and guilt when you fail etc. but just wondering if it is really only as simple as that

Bree
Of course it's simple!
You eat, you aren't hungry, you take a wee break from eating too much, you lose weight.
Simple and wonderful!!! :-)
Mostly yes we think so, but maybe there is a little more to it...yet to be determined!

The appetite suppression is a factor (though that's calorie cutting too) and then there may be a degree of metabolic adjustment as well...possibly to do with ease of fat burning and the ability to release fat for use by the body rather than just storing it and maybe an element of maintaining metabolic rate (whether by increasing the amount we move due to the feeling of well being or by actually influencing the underlying metabolic rate).

But yes, the calorie restriction is the main thing!
It doesn't quite work like that. See Gary Taubes books for more information.

To take a simple idea. Today I am fasting I get cold hands and feet. My body is conserving energy. So I am burning less calories, the formula doesn't quite work.

Your body stores calories in different ways, it may cost more or less energy. So it is just not that simple...
4 posts Page 1 of 1