The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Amazon has good reviews on scales. I'm to scared to buy my own as I weigh on my mums. What if I buy some and they make me heavier. :doh:
I've got a set of Tanita BC543 scales and they've done me OK for the last 5 years, consistent measurements and loads of other add on results too. Just my tuppence worth.
Hi Izzy,
I bought some new ones which seem really accurate, they're the Omron Body Composition Scales BF508 and they're £35.99 on Amazon, so not too pricey.
They measure weight, fat%, visceral fat and BMI.
Slight downside, is they don't weigh in stones, just pounds or kilos, but I'm really pleased with them so far, just wish they would be a bit nicer to me and lie occasionally though!!
Evie
I have the Omron ones off Amazon & they are ok.
I got the Salter scales that are on the forum Amazon shopping page for £14. They do weigh me a lot more than the old ones but I think they're right :-(. What is good is that they give the same reading if I get off and on again (unlike the old scales) and it doesn't matter where on the floor I put them (unlike the old ones), so I think they're quite reliable.
Sorry they're £15.99 actually! They do body fat and water % too
I have some Salter ones too and love them! They don't seem to care whereabouts on the floor they are, they read consistently unlike my old lidl ones :) the body fat and water measurements seem pretty consistent too.
Are the body fat readings accurate? Our old scales do fat, water and muscle in percentage but fat and water readings vary widely. I got some cheapies that just do weight but I'd like to be able to see if I'm actually losing fat or gaining muscle.
If you want accurate results regarding body fat, the best option is the scales with something like a handle for the hands, like this one:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 030734.htm
I've been told to stay away from the Black and Decker ones (I didn't even know they did scales, LOL).
Whoooops, didn't notice that Evie had suggested them. And good point on the lying as well. Why not tell me a little white lie after Christmas or a birthday???

He he, perhaps the time will come when our scales open holes on the walls and cut wood, LOL!
miffy49 wrote: Are the body fat readings accurate? Our old scales do fat, water and muscle in percentage but fat and water readings vary widely. I got some cheapies that just do weight but I'd like to be able to see if I'm actually losing fat or gaining muscle.

I think is generally accepted that the scales can't give accurate body fat amounts but that the change should be a good indicator of progress. An accurate assessment needs sophisticated lab equipment!
carorees wrote: I got the Salter scales that are on the forum Amazon shopping page for £14. They do weigh me a lot more than the old ones but I think they're right :-(

Aha, was waiting for the horse feed and sugar calibration. Be interesting to see if your loss numbers make better mathematical sense on these.
Hmm, don't know. Fat secret says my deficit this week is 3500 cals but the new scales say I've lost 2lb!
I bought the salter ones today, and I'm very pleased with them. £16.49 seems really good value too (from my local shop). They weigh me the same as the old ones which I'm relieved about, otherwise I might have had to show an increase on the tracker! :grin:
14 posts Page 1 of 1