The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Foods to avoid with gallstones
08 Apr 2013, 07:17
Couple of months ago I was diagnosed with a large gallstone and ulcer. I've had the ulcer sorted and am still taking Omeprazole and the consultant told me to come back if I had another gallstone attack. Fingers crossed it hasn't been too bad but I have woke up today felling really unwell and wonder if certain foods have set it off. Consultant didn't tell me to avoid anything but I've been looking on the web and different reports say different things to avoid ie red meat, dairy, chocolate, cheese - I had a roast lamb dinner yesterday and whereas it hasn't been a problem in the past it did contain most of the 'avoid' list :confused:

Has anyone got/had gallstones and restricted food items, and if so did it help ?

I'm supposed to be fasting today but not sure cos I feel yuk :frown:
Some debate here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1273
They do say to avoid fatty foods. My SIL recently had to have her gall bladder out and she found that the best way to avoid attacks while waiting fit her op was to only have two meals a day (she discovered fasting!) and to keep fats down.
Hi DD. A few years ago I had a problem with gallstones. They caused more pain than anything else I've known. Eventually they contributed to acute pancreatitis and a 10 day stint in hospital. 3 months later I had my gall bladder removed by simple keyhole surgery. In the meantime I ate a very low fat (and no-alcohol) diet and have never felt better - no pain at all except for one night when I risked a small piece of cheese.

I seem to remember the gall bladder acts a a reservoir for bile that gets released to aid digestion. I (simplistically) assume this release causes the pain. So I would say avoid large and rich meals, all fatty foods and alcohol and talk to your doctor about surgery. I also found bicarbinate of soda in water helped relieve the pain of a flare up.

Good luck :)
3 posts Page 1 of 1