The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Calories on non fast days?
12 Apr 2013, 19:04
Hi everyone

Ive been on the plan now for a week, weighed in this morning and I am down 3lb although I did do 4.3 this week and fasted yesterday so would say my weight loss is really 2lb! Anyways my question is previous to this I have followed ww and lost a stone and also done mfp. On mfp my daily allowance was 1200 calories per day (5ft 2in female weighing 135lb) I havent calorie counted on my feast days which is part of why I love this diet but I have gone slightly overboard on feast days probably 2000 calories. What I cant figure out is this even with fast days takes me way over my estimated weekly allowance so surely this must mean I still need to watch calories on normal days? Or am I totally missing the point here?

Are the fast days enough to help you lose weight due to the fact your body starts to burn fat or is it still about calories in/out if this makes sense? May seem silly asking as I have lost weight this week just curious to know if in future I still need to monitor my calories every day :?:

Maybe I need to re read mosleys book, any advice would be much appreciated!
Re: Calories on non fast days?
12 Apr 2013, 20:34
MFP's 1200 is calculated to give you a daily deficit based on what you told it.

5:2 gives you a deficit by restricting on 2 days only.

So if you told MFP you wanted to lose 1 lb/week and got 1200 it thinks you burn 1700 a day.

With 5:2 you would eat 1700 * 5 and 500 * 2 = 9500 rather than 7 * 1200 = 8400 in a week.
20 Apr 2013, 04:57
1200 on MFP is the lowest it will allow. My TDEE is 1600, so if I want to lose a pound a week via diet, I need to cut 500 calories a day, which leaves me 1100. But MFP won't allow that figure.
20 Apr 2013, 07:51
Set mfp to maintenance which is what you should eat on non-fast days. Please eat up to your TDEE on non-fast days. See the thread by Lucy1984 about her success since changing from a low calorie every day approach to 5:2 and the importance of eating up to TDEE: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3764
23 Apr 2013, 21:14
Thank you PhilT and Carorees - I have finally figured out all this calorie mess!!! My BFF and I spent an hour at lunchtime trying to work this out and you both have solved the problem!! I was mistaking MFP's 1200 cal per day as my goal when I should have been looking at 1785 on feast days! Today I ate 1800 and don't feel stuffed and it was all things good with a treat of homemade carrot cake!! I love this "diet" - I don't struggle with my fast days and no longer feel bloated and losing weight/inches too. One very happy bunny! :-) Thank you again. Mystery solved!!
23 Apr 2013, 21:24
What Carorees said does make sense. I have found the weeks I don't eat enough on feast days are the weeks I don't lose anything. I think its because your body holds on to everything if it goes into starvation mode.
02 May 2013, 00:38
Just read this as I am new and was wandering how to eat on nonfast days.i have dieted all my life and am now unable to loose a few stubborn kilos .this post helped me as I am 5ft and don't have much to loose.always thought I had to eat very little compared to others so now I worked out I need to eat around 1200 cals on non fast days... I think?
02 May 2013, 02:07
Hi and welcome to the forums!

That sounds very very low to me. Have you used a TDEE calculator to figure out what you are supposed to eat to maintain your weight? http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/ ... lator.html

The idea is you are supposed to eat normally or to your TDEE on non-fast days. Otherwise, you'll just send your metabolism into survival mode and slow everything down.
02 May 2013, 05:24
I havnt checked my TDEE,will do
Just read somewhere I need 1200 to loose weight for my height.
9 posts Page 1 of 1