The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

43 posts Page 3 of 3
Thanks breadandwine, Peebles, CandiceMarie and PJ-K. For comments.

Th idea of testing blood sugar is a good one as I do have an addiction-type relationship with it. Also, I agree that cereal and apple are probably activating the "rush". However, I seemed to manage OK with cereal or porridge prior to 5:2 but now, on any day, as soon as I eat breakfast the addiction is activated.

I agree with the starvation fast/feast information but I am always puzzled as previously, I always felt worse for NOT having breakfast and always managed to go to lunchtime without filling up on rubbish. I also thought that eating breakfast was the thing that lit my metabolic fire. Have always struggled a bit with evening eating, wanting carbs.

However since 5:2 though, eating breakfast seems to start my downfall. All that said, I AM STICKING WITH 5:2. It is the only lifestyle choice in which I have lost weight and pretty much maintained it. Good luck to all..
For the first 2-4 weeks of IF (any of the variants of 5:2) be sure to drink a cup of something salty once or twice during the fasting day - like a stock cube (bouillon cube). The calories are negligible and it'll help you sneek past the hunger demon.
Just wanted to add to peebles excellent post, that after a fast your insulin response to carbs can be a little sluggish resulting in a higher peak of blood sugar than normal and, when the insulin is released by your body a bit of an overshoot causing a drop in blood sugar, so that triggers hunger to a greater extent than when you haven't been fasting. If you suffer from this effect as it seems likely you do, then breaking the fast with a low carb breakfast or snack (a handful of nuts or some cheese, ham or eggs) helps the body to adjust to eating.

This may explain why you didn't have the problem before you started fasting.

The blood sugar monitoring might reveal what is happening.

Good luck
Hi @bluefish and welcome! :)

My experience with food is very similar to yours. This did not seem to pose a problem when I started out - that is, I lost weight even though I had days of constant/over eating - and I got all the way to goal without this seeming to be an issue. However, it is certainly a problem since I have been on maintenance. I now feel hungry almost all the time from mid morning until I eventually eat. And once I start, I find it very hard to stop. I am fully aware of all the excellent suggestions made by forum members and others of how to stop this pattern, but I have yet to find a strategy that I will stick to. So it means I have to have at least 2 if not 3 fast days a week to stop me putting on weight - and I am even concerned that recently I might be on average increasing my weight, albeit slowly.

I pretty well always break my fast every day with fish/chicken and salad/veggies - not too many carbs in that. And through the day I am careful to keep the carbs low. But in the evening I start on the sweet stuff... And can't stop. I know a solution is not to start, or not to eat after a certain time, or only eat the sweet stuff as part of the meal, but I just don't do it. :( And still can't work out why. I have discussed this in other threads; I am using food as a reward or treat - no other reward or treat compares, unfortunately - I need to reprogram my brain... I expect I am one of those people who is not good at delaying gratification.

None of this is any help to you though! But you have my total sympathy. Maybe we could challenge each other to try and stick with a particular strategy??

Best wishes for finding a solution that works for you. :D
Hi @sassy1

I notice that your BMI is fairly low, so I wonder if what you are experiencing is a case of Amanda Salis' 'famine reaction' https://www.fastday.com/fasting/why-do- ... fast-days/

I suggest eating above TDEE for a week or so, and whilst not going overboard on carbs including some whole grains and healthy fats and protein, take a break from fasting and see how you go. The above article has links to more detail about the famine reaction and ideas of how to combat it.

If you decide to give it a go, do let me know whether it makes a difference.

Good luck
Hi @carorees, I read this ages ago but thanks for reminding me about it, I will read again with greater attention now that it is potentially more relevant to me!

And will certainly let you know the outcome assuming I give the suggested plan a go.

Thanks again. :)
Thanks ADFnFUEL. It is a good idea to have something salty like a stock cube. I move continually between feeling desperate for a quick salt or sweet taste to keep me going. On fast days I have the occasional sugar free sweet (Aldi). I know sugar free still mimics sugar and its reaction in the body, but doesn't seem to lead to complete carb/sugar binge. When I feel the need for salty food I reach for a handful of salted peanuts, which isn't great. It is difficult to find allowable salty items for a fast day coping snack.
bluefish wrote: It is difficult to find allowable salty items for a fast day coping snack.
Do you like anchovies, @bluefish? A tiny bit of blitzed anchovy (anchovy paste) on a piece of vegetable would be a good savoury, salt taste. If you don't mind olives, then a good salty tapenade with anchovies, black/green olives and capers with a smidgeon of lemon zest (if liked) is a good, salty, savoury snack.
Oh my goodness. Has anyone tried itsu crispy seaweed thins? They would be good for snacking in the evening at 22 calories for a pack of 12. I have just finished off the first packet I have ever had. Flipping gawjus with a glass of red
Thanks @SSure. Unfortunately I don't like any of those edibles, oh I wish I did. Appreciate the thought though. Maybe there is some sort of dip/puree that is a little salty that is low carb.
Unfortunately bluefish I have the same trouble as you, I have tried the seaweed thins as the korean staff import them, but I think they taste fishy!!!
I am trialling chromium picolate to see if it works with my sweet cravings which I get regularly.
Good luck with finding something that works for you. You aren't alone though!
Looking at this problem from a mental point of view, I wonder if it would help to find someone to give you a jolly good listening to? I am a trained counsellor, and it sounds to me as if there are some behaviours being repeated here, perhaps from the old days. We often don't like to shed comfy "old shoes" even tho the shiny new ones are gorgeous and, even better, fit the new us. Discussing the old and new you with someone might help you find what causes the trigger.

Just a thought. Sending support... :heart:
Hi @Hellengerin
Thanks for that. I do have someone to talk things through with but thanks for offer. Good luck. Bluefish.
43 posts Page 3 of 3