The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

54 posts Page 4 of 4
Nice one Dominic

Ballerina x
zamale wrote: Didn't cavemen eat this way?? They really didn't get a choice, in when they ate, they ate when it was caught, so yes, they had many a day of restricted calories and days of plenty. There were no overweight cavemen.

Hmmm... When I hear the "argument from cavemen" I like to remember that as a 38 year-old caveman I'd probably be dead...
dominic wrote: Nor is pig, actually... :wink:

Indeed. I spent a lonely afternoon in the bacon aisle at Tesco, Leicester one afternoon. I plan to try the same in the Fruit section of the new Tesco in Corby.
noddy wrote: I KNOW that's the way to stay healthy and slim,

It's *a* way to stay healthy and slim but not the only one; we did not evolve to eat 3+ meals a day & periods of no food would have been common in our history [otherwise the flaming fat cell would never have evolved]... if you look at eating from the perspective of human evolution, fasting [5:2, 4:3 or whichever variation you use] is going to be the better method.
BruceE wrote: Don't use the word, "fast," maybe. Just say you're losing weight by eating less calories over the course of a week, that you're taking a weekly view of calorie consumption rather than a daily view.

My girlfriends and I, who started on 5:2 three weeks ago, are using the term 'light days' instead of 'fast days'.
rabuchanan wrote: I am on a local discussion group at home and I posted a link to here to enlighten others as to the potential benefits to this way of life and have mostly got negative feedback about this being a new fad diet, just eat healthy,exercise more and its unhealthy and not safe, bla bla bla!!

I know I should just ignore the nay sayers and plod on with my own agenda but I have a hard time not speaking out on things that I believe in. Saying that I'm also just into my first week of this diet so I'm not even sure I'll stick to it myself...lol...but I believe I will.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on how to challenge the negative comments or would it be best to let the topic fall? I can't dispute that these people lost weight and are healthier now because they changed their way of eating but will they stick to it?

A link to the discussion http://www.ebrandon.ca/messagethread.as ... &cat_id=14

Thanks

I know what you mean. I was unsure about whether I would stay on the diet more than 7 months ago - so I understand.

Pass a link to my pictures in my blog to see a healthy guy that likes his food.

With regard to your other statements: Exercising has minimal effects on weight, if something is not working but it sounds like the correct solution do more of it. 5 a day is now 7 a day!

I wish I knew what eating healthily was. If the science is correct then 5:2 dieters are eating healthily.

Re-education will take a while.
I just cast my eye over the thread, seems like a balanced discussion of the open and closed, skeptics and scientists.

I am not sure how long a fad lasts before it stops being a fad?

Anyone who has found a way that works for them should stick to it.

5:2 is a regime/way of life/diet for those that don't want to exercise or diet. I have exercised and dieted to the point of misery. If it makes you happy I lack discipline. I think giving up in the face of perpetual gnawing hunger from systematic starvation was best for me. I had decided to be fat and happy, then one day on the road to Damascus - I could see 5:2 was the perfect solution to my problem.
I've just been reading an article on the Guardian website about 5:2 with some pretty negative comments underneath - along with some support from people actually doing the diet.

I suspect some of the negative people don't know much about the diet and perhaps have never had weight problems.

I try not to use the word "fast" if I talk about the diet but I try not to talk about it too much as I am quite easily made irritable by negative comments and likely to respond aggressively to any hint that it might be a stupid idea. Oh dear, not the best way to persuade people.
dohpeterchina wrote: I am not sure how long a fad lasts before it stops being a fad?

Well Dr Atkins has been dead 10 years and he published his first book 41 years ago and even now that is often referred to as a fad diet !
54 posts Page 4 of 4