The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi, peeps!

I've been reading again and again the threads that mention cortisol but it's like reading Chinese so I'm going to just ask...

I have a friend who has hight cortisol levels in her blood. It is clearly from stress.

Question 1: what kind of foods should she avoid?

Question 2: assuming that she tries 5:2, with what kind of foods should she better break her fast in order to help the levels of cortisol to drop?

Question 3: anything else that she should know?

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Oh yes please, my OH struggles with excess cortisol and it blights his life. Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks.
"Elevated background cortisol can be caused and exacerbated by chronic stress, lack of sleep, high coffee intake, and other stressors"

Systemic inflammation also elevates cortisol levels, dietary causes may be Dairy products, legumes, and grains or other foods not tolerated by the individual. Alcohol is another alleged culprit, no doubt smoking too - or any disease / infection / cancer.

Low magnesium levels and Omega 3:Omega 6 ratios also get a mention. 2g-4g of EPA/DHA per day should provide the Omega 3 but don't swamp it with the wrong sort of oil high in Omega 6 - Soybean oil is high in Omega 6 and strongly inflammatory with a 1:7.4 ratio - http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/507/2 - whereas rapeseed oil is strongly anti-inflammatory with a 1:2 ratio. Olive oil is also strongly anti-inflammatory but is lower in the Omegas and has a ratio of 1:12.8

A magnesium salt bath or similar (Espom salts, magnesium oil spray) before bed time may help with the sleep and the Mg levels.
So, to make sure I understand, she needs to increase magnesium and Omega 3 and 6?
TML13 wrote: So, to make sure I understand, she needs to increase magnesium and Omega 3 and 6?

Ensure adequate Omega 3, the level is above, but don't swamp it with Omega 6. You can get pure Omega 3 supplements. Pick your oils and avoid processed foods that are likely to use the cheaper ones. Eat oily fish twice a week perhaps.

Supplementary magnesium (or Mg rich foods) may also help.

Consider the current diet and what might be antagonistic - gluten for example.
Antagonistic to what?
TML13 wrote: Antagonistic to what?

her digestive system, bowels, whatever.

Try http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchi ... 9p38.shtml for some anti-inflammatory diet info
OK, please excuse my stupidity but... what does cortisol have to do with inflammation? Is it the opposite with cortisone?

We are trying to just reduce cortisol here, right?
TML13 wrote: OK, please excuse my stupidity but... what does cortisol have to do with inflammation? Is it the opposite with cortisone?

We are trying to just reduce cortisol here, right?

I think the answer is:
If there is any kind of inflamation in the body, cortisol levels will rise. Therefore, to help keep cortisol levels low, it is important to avoid any food (or anything else) which causes inflamation.
However, inflamation is caused by different things in different people, so your friend may have to work out whether (for example) wheat products, dairy foods, alcohol, smoking, or something else is making things worse for her.

That's my understanding - I could be wrong, of course!
She doesn't have any inflammation, her cortisol is high because of stress. All her inflammation indicators are low.
To my understanding, cortisol and inflammation aren't definitely related, correct?
I understand that systemic inflamation can cause cortisol levels to rise, so there is a connection. But that may not apply in your friend's case - we are all individuals.
The only reason why I'm insisting in understanding this is because I have problems with inflammation but I never had problems with my cortisol.

Anyway, assuming that a person has increased cortisol and no inflammation, besides magnesium and Omega 3, if they do the fast diet, are there any foods that are better to break their fasts with?
Hi TML
Are you sure it is from stress? Was an ACTH secreting pituitary adenoma or other tumors excluded?
I don't know what's that but they did all kinds of tests to her because her mother had cancer. They checked everything...
PhilT wrote:
TML13 wrote: So, to make sure I understand, she needs to increase magnesium and Omega 3 and 6?

Ensure adequate Omega 3, the level is above, but don't swamp it with Omega 6. You can get pure Omega 3 supplements. Pick your oils and avoid processed foods that are likely to use the cheaper ones. Eat oily fish twice a week perhaps.

Supplementary magnesium (or Mg rich foods) may also help.

Consider the current diet and what might be antagonistic - gluten for example.

I highly recommend hemp milk...great on oatmeal and a super source of Omega 3s....especially good vegetarian source.
20 posts Page 1 of 2