The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Magnesium and constipation
24 Apr 2013, 14:16
I was reading the thread on insomnia this morning and noticed a reference to taking magnesium at night. I have been prone to constipation all my adult life. I also suffer from IBS. A few years ago when seeking advIce about my IBS a nutritionist suggested I take magnesium at night for my constipation. I have taken it regularly Since and it really does help. I haven't been able to find any reports that suggest taking larger doses (i usually take 450mg) regularly is a problem so I will continue. Having read several threads where others have had problems with constipation following this WOE perhaps this may help. It's also has a very gentle effect. By the way I don't suffer from insomnia - but then I've never had trouble sleeping!
Re: Magnesium and constipation
24 Apr 2013, 14:21
Gosh, suddenly #magnesium appears to be a panacea! How did that happen?! It would be good if one could know whether we're getting enough in the diet before investing in supplements.
24 Apr 2013, 14:32
Well apparently most women are short on magnesium but I don't know how anyone has come to that conclusion. The nutritionist also told me that you use more magnesium if you suffer from pain (my iBs can be pretty unpleasant) but again how can you tell?
24 Apr 2013, 14:47
There's a really enthusiastic puff about magnesium here. The pot of magnesium at the end of the rainbow? Possibly a more balanced assessment here, which includes this:
Although you may not get enough magnesium from your diet, it's rare to be truly deficient in magnesium. Certain medical conditions, however, can upset the body's magnesium balance. For example, an intestinal virus that causes vomiting or diarrhea can cause temporary magnesium deficiencies. Some gastrointestinal diseases (such as irritable bowel syndrome or IBS and ulcerative colitis), diabetes, pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism (high thyroid hormone levels), kidney disease, and taking diuretics can lead to deficiencies. Too much coffee, soda, salt, or alcohol, as well as heavy menstrual periods, excessive sweating, and prolonged stress can also lower magnesium levels.

Symptoms of magnesium deficiency may include agitation and anxiety, restless leg syndrome (RLS), sleep disorders, irritability, nausea and vomiting, abnormal heart rhythms, low blood pressure, confusion, muscle spasm and weakness, hyperventilation, insomnia, poor nail growth, and even seizures.

Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/magn ... z2RONiEFXP
24 Apr 2013, 14:58
Thanks Dominic - that's very interesting. I think it's the effect that a dose of magnesium has on the gut which is helpful rather than being necessarily deficient. One of the side effects is Diahhrea although this has never been my problem. I do remember that after the birth of both of my kids the midwives always had a bottle of milk of magnesia to hand if you had problems 'going' but that was 25 years ago!
24 Apr 2013, 16:42
I take magnesium on and off to keep the leg cramps at bay. I use a spray-on oil or kieserite flakes in the bath, having learned that it is absorbed through the skin and lives in intra-cellular fluid rather than the blood stream (hence it's hard to test).

We used to give the sheep magnesium enhanced licks too ;-)
24 Apr 2013, 16:51
We still do give our sheep magnesium ..lol
24 Apr 2013, 17:29
Well based on my occasional foray into the wilderness I would say that the sheep aren't constipated so it must be the magnesium!
24 Apr 2013, 17:39
I think you have scientifically proved it there ..a good piece of research .. lol ...
24 Apr 2013, 18:09
I used to take magnesium and carnitine for some reason. Canny remember for what, but perhaps it's time to start again, LOL!
29 Apr 2013, 10:28
Well this dude certainly thinks it's a panacea...whoever he is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 25499.html

One thing I can say is after 18 months/2 years of shocking insomnia I sleep really well when I take it...but I take magnesium orotate (I have a nerd friend who did some research and suggested it was better - can't remember why) but I didn't get the same results from magnesium I bought here. Anyway I am so glad I guinea pigged myself with it cos I was ready to commit hari kari. :curse: I was so sleep deprived I was at my wits end. So if u have insomnia get checked for magnesium deficiency.
11 posts Page 1 of 1