The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
osteoporosis
25 Apr 2013, 13:25
Does anybody know how 5:2 affects osteoporosis. I have a strong family history of this and have now been following the 5:2 for 8 weeks and have realised my dairy intake on fast days is minimal?

Thanks
Re: osteoporosis
25 Apr 2013, 13:27
Welcome to the forums!

I am going to move this down to the "health" section of the forum, because I think it might get a lot more attention there than here, and you might get more answers. :-)
25 Apr 2013, 13:34
I'm also interested as I am osteopena (pre-osteoporosis). I do take some yogurt on my fast days and take a multi as well.
25 Apr 2013, 14:27
There's an interesting article here:
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones
which includes some helpful suggestions for foods to include in your diet to support healthy bones. Don't be put off by the title if you're not a vegan, as it talks about studies involving omnivores as well - and you probably like some of the foods suggested anyway!
25 Apr 2013, 14:29
I think that as long as your non-fast days are nutritionally sound there is nothing to worry about. Weight-bearing exercise is a good preventative for osteoporosis and getting enough vitamin D. I have been convinced that taking a vit D supplement during the gloomy winter (autumn/spring and possibly even summer here in the UK!) months is a good idea.
25 Apr 2013, 15:17
I am taking a chewable calcium/vitamin D supplement as my mother has osteoporosis and my dairy intake is down.I don't like cheese so it is difficult to compensate on ordinary days
25 Apr 2013, 16:45
this is the first time i have written on a forum! thank you all for your replies. i will look into those suggestions. it certainly won't stop me doing 5:2 - its such a relief to find something that works and that you can imagine easily doing for life
7 posts Page 1 of 1