The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

30 posts Page 2 of 2
TML you still haven't told us how it tasted? We all know it was a REALLY BIG salmon :smile: but was it any good?
Of course it was, I cooked it after all, LOLOLOL!!!

It was quite simple; salt, pepper, lemongrass, ginger, five spice and spring onions. And a ts of olive oil to help the lactulose do it business. ;-)
Scary really when you always think of fish being healthy and a good choice for dieters. Saying that, I brought three salmon fillets today as they were half price and it said average weight of each piece was 140g, and when sides of salmon are on offer I'd normally buy 500g and divide it between 3 of us but we would eat it with rice or pasta. Salmon is delicious, I hope you enjoyed !! :cool:
Blue, you said it all! When I make pasta with salmon I use one third of the fishmonger's slice per portion but I ate just the salmon, nothing else. I guess I like fish too much to share it with veggies or rice or pasta.
My family loves my salmon pasta though and I cook it often when I visit them.
:wink: Good for you.
Salmon is very healthy - from Norway it's probably full of wonderful healthy oils.
Enjoy your fish.
Carol wrote: 350 grams thats quite a large piece of salmon cant you cut it in half perhaps

or into thirds :grin:
Ah, thanks for that info, Marie. We don't have any salmon in Greece so we have to import, mainly from Norway.
PhilT wrote:
Carol wrote: 350 grams thats quite a large piece of salmon cant you cut it in half perhaps

or into thirds :grin:

I think we've already established that I'm not going to do that... :wink:
TML if you want to feel less guilty about your large portion of salmon try to catch the bbc doc. The Great Bear Stakeout. I watched it last night - the bears and cubs were preparing to survive the winter, and the adult bears went salmon fishing.It was spectacular- the largest bear Van stuffed himself so much he could hardly move - you could practically see the pounds piling on in front of your eyes. narrated by the Big Yin himself, Billy Connolly, amazing! The bears and salmon, that is, Billy was alright too :smile: Not that I am in any way comparing you to a grizzly bear..They live in Alaska and you're in hotter climes, somewhere by the Med. Oh, yes, Athens :smile: No similarities, none, except a passion for large salmon :lol:
Haaaa haaaaaaaa. I love Billy!

Who says that I feel guilty though? I was just surprised...
Tuna is a bit less calorific if you are in the mood for fish and Prawns are fantasicaly low in calories :smile:
TML, I'm sure you are all very healthy. This is the Mediterranean diet and this portion of fish that seems huge for most of us is probably the right thing to eat. I just hope that your meat and chicken portions are not similar :oops: but this is really great. I eat usually 100-120 g as a portion but I like to eat it with carbs and veggies.
did you weigh it before or after cooking it?
Accepting cultural differences, I think this proves the point about the perception of ' a portion' can vary wildly from one person to another :shock:
Chichi, before. I usually weigh things before cooking them.

Einatbl, to be honest, I rarely eat meat and it's usually a small portion because I'm not a big fan of it. I like meat disguised in unhealthy food (such as kebabs or burgers) which I don't eat very often. Chicken, well, I usually have half a leg, unless my mum gets wild small chickens (the whole thing weighs about 800 grams) and I eat one leg.
Although there are two times a year when I eat LOTS of meat. One is a holiday when everybody eats grilled meat and the other one is Easter, which is in one week and I will probably eat half a lamb, LOL!!!

Sian, tuna (fresh, not in a tin) is hard to find here. But I do eat prawns when I find them. I like them either grilled or with pasta.

Winsome, when it comes to fish, our portions are generous because we usually eat it without carbs. Many eat greens with their fish but I like it alone, so that I can enjoy its taste of sea.
30 posts Page 2 of 2