The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

30 posts Page 1 of 2
OK, here's the deal: I was never good in calorie counting but I'm giving it a try now. Today, I decided to cook salmon. I got a slice from the fishmonger and weighed it raw (no skin, no bones) and it was 350 grams.
When I looked it up on Calorie King it said that it was 641 calories!!!
With a ts of oil and some spring onions, my lunch came to 700 calories! That's more than anything I've eaten in the past 3 weeks or more than any portion of pasta that I've ever cooked!!!
I checked MFP, they too say that 350 g of salmon fillet on its own is 600 cals!
Wow, I just did that on the calorie counter I found and it said 721 calories - without the oil or onion! Salmon is a very oily fish (it came back with 43.2 g fat) so that would be why it is so high. I hope it wasn't a fast day! lol Of course salmon has lots of goodies in it. Just remember it needs to be wild caught to have all the good omega 3's etc. Hope it was yummy!
My piece tonight is pre packed wild salmon and according to the packet would be about 560 for that amount
You must have been starving to eat that much!! I eat salmon all the time and I am a bit on the greedy side - that much would 2 large servings, 3 normal. Check your scales - hope you enjoyed it, anyway. No use :cry: after scoffing too much salmon :smile: Look on the bright side, you just got your omega 3's for the next month...
350 grams thats quite a large piece of salmon cant you cut it in half perhaps
Salmon is an oily fish, but its "good" oil. Just make sure you don't eat it on fast days.

I eat fish on my fast days, but I eat baked catfish. It runs about 80 calories for a 4 oz. serving. I usually eat a couple pieces with a big salad. YUM!

I got some Whiting fish the other day. Nasty stuff. It shrinks!!!! :shock: I'll go back to my catfish. I usually eat it fresh out of the pond, but I do have some store bought in the freezer.
Dhana, my piece was portion piece, the same size that I get if I order salmon at a restaurant!!! I can't see how someone could be even slightly filled up with 1/3rd of what I ate to be honest... Especially since I didn't eat anything else.

Lin, it was salmon from Norway, not sure if it was wild or tame, LOL!!!
LOL, I'm not eating protein on my fast days, protein makes me hungry a while after I eat it.
It's weird though because that was a normal size for me and for everyone I know! That's how much we eat, because most of us (friends, family) we like fish so when we eat it we eat just that, no veggies, tatties etc.
Wow TML13, that was quite some fillet, bet it was good!? :smile:

Salmon is an oily fish therefore higher in calories than a white fish. I've just checked a couple of calorie counters and they vary between 500- 604 depending if it was smoked or not, lower if smoked. I try and stick to about a 120gm (171 cals) portion for me and about 130-140gm for hubby.

To avoid using oil I sometimes cook it in the microwave, making sure to cover it! An exploding fillet goes a long way!!!! Making a parcel with grease proof paper and cooking in the oven also avoids using oil and you can add a whole load of veggies in too! :smile:
Yeah I'd say 100g was a typical size portion of meat or fish.
I don't avoid oil, oil is good for us!!!
I guess it's all a matter of how we are all used to eat. Thank God Greece has plenty of fish and when you have plenty of something you don't need to cook it with vegetables, salad etc.
You take a whole fish (400-500grams), grill it and eat it with olive oil and lemon.

P.S. I don't even own a microwave oven...
Or could it be that I eat meat a maximum of 4 times per month and fish once a week? Perhaps it's different if you eat something more/less often?
350g is 12oz. I know that for portion size in general for meat, I've been trying to cut back to 6oz or so, ultimately I'd like to be satisfied with about 4oz serving sizes.

I used to happily eat a 12oz. steak, and with this WOE I've found that enjoying smaller portions of high-quality food (pay more per gram for a good cut, just buy smaller cuts) is a great way to enjoy the eating experience without blowing the calorie budget, even on a fast day!

My TDEE is probably much-higher than yours, being male and significantly heavier than you, and I think that 350g of salmon is 2 to 3 servings. :-)
OK, I called my mum and a few of my friends. They all eat one slice of fishmonger's salmon when they eat salmon. And they all said that it's not worth it to eat any less and add veggies. What can I say, we love our fish!!!

(Please don't hate me but I never eat steak. I am not a fan of meat, unless it is disguised in something naughty...)
30 posts Page 1 of 2