The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

29 posts Page 2 of 2
miffy49 wrote: Just had a look at MFP. Do you set it to lose or maintain to get your calories?

If you go into ' More ' at the bottom and then click on edit profile, you can set how many cals you want it to show for you each day
miffy49 wrote: Just had a look at MFP. Do you set it to lose or maintain to get your calories?

I personally set it as losing 0.5 lbs a week as it gives me some wiggle room :) but you could set it to maintain :)
I misunderstood the question lol!
I can't find the weekly summary of total calories on the website, only on the android app

I think its really important to use the weekly totals, as if you have a low TDEE, and fast for 2 days on 500 cals, and eat TDEE on the other 5, you don't save the recommended 3,500 cals to lose 1lb a week, so MFP, or similar, is vital to ensure you still restrict enough.
Since I start my 4 work days the same food wise I end up with 2 fast days and 2 pretty low/moderate calorie days it gives me huge freedom for my 3 days off. My lowest TDEE is 2200, so I take 1,000 or so on each of my moderate days, 500 or so on each of my fast days, hoping for a pound a week loss, I still have at least 2,500 for each day off. It feels like a banquet!
Thanks. I can see the sense in going for the 0.5 loss setting. I've tried only counting on fast days but I'm more content when I know what I'm having. I do love a chart! Sad, I know! :lol:

You need the maintenance allowance for your non-fast days.
I was wondering that as it says I should only eat 1290 a day to lose 2 pounds a week
You need to go by the maintenance figure for non-fast days as the calorie restriction comes from the fast days.
I have put in a pound loss a week and it says 1790 cals with no exercise! Might leave it as that!
This is great. Thanks for all the info on MFP. I've reset so here's to a good week's weight loss. Fingers crossed. :?:
I had MFP set at 1lb loss a week - have just changed it to maintenance and nearly fallen off my chair....have a 5900 calorie deficit this week!
Have done alternate day - really tough today being weekend, looking forward to seeing scales tomorrow !
Maddysee wrote: I had MFP set at 1lb loss a week - have just changed it to maintenance and nearly fallen off my chair....have a 5900 calorie deficit this week!
Have done alternate day - really tough today being weekend, looking forward to seeing scales tomorrow !

That's a lot! Hope the scales are kind :)
I ignore MFP's projections as well as what it thinks I should eat and how much I will weigh if I keep it up, etc.

my TDEE (the lowest one from all the TDEE calculators) is 2200 for maintenance. So that is 15,400 a week. If we assume that 3,500 is a pound (that is one big "if") and I want to lose a pound a week that gives me 11,900 left to eat for the week. Then we take my 2 "fast" days which are 500 each and we are left with 10,900 for the week. Then we take the fact that my other 2 work days have been averaging a little less than 1,200, and take that 2,400 off of the 10,900 for the week and that leaves me 8,500 calories for my 3 day weekends. Which is 2,800 per day for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Now I don't use that many on each of those 3 days, but sometimes Friday goes a little higher and usually one of those days goes a little higher, but the other 2 actually go a bit lower.

So what that translates to is this is very easy for me, and I am trending downward. I can probably keep loosely watching my non-fast days, and keep tight rein on my fast days and continue the trend. win win.
29 posts Page 2 of 2