The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

41 posts Page 3 of 3
Agreed it does sound painful :oops:

But I have seen others do it so it is very simple.
PhilT,

That was an interesting video with Dr Longo. I wonder if this effect on tumor growth is because of a reduction in circulating growth factors like IGF-I and insulin or whether it is because tumor cells by and large use glucose exclusively as an energy source and principally make ATP by anaerobic glycolysis (which is very inefficient) (the so called Warburg effect).

It will be interesting to see how clinical trials play out.
There is also the effect of fasting on mTOR to consider (which is the signalling pathway used by most cancer cells to drive proliferation and survival). I posted about a study showing reduced mTOR activity after an ADF regimen in men a while back. IGF1 (among other things) stimulates mTOR, which is sometimes described as nutrient sensing pathway.
Thank you for that reminder Caroline. Caroline's post about the study of mTOR in men on ADF is here - well worth a read if you like nerdy stuff.
Thanks. That is interesting. Thanks for sending. I have worked with these pathways in human embryonic stem cells (anything downstream of PI3K). Some think that these cells are a good model for cancer stem cells which reactivate embryonic signaling pathways to achieve immortality.
not to get you all off track or anything, but I just smiled seeing a grinning baby and a squinting dog speak so intelligently. Avatars are such funny things.
deMuralist wrote: not to get you all off track or anything, but I just smiled seeing a grinning baby and a squinting dog speak so intelligently. Avatars are such funny things.

Haaaaaaaaaa :lol: Brilliant, thanks for making me smile!!!!!! :grin:
deMuralist wrote: not to get you all off track or anything, but I just smiled seeing a grinning baby and a squinting dog speak so intelligently. Avatars are such funny things.

And this coming from Winnie the Pooh :wink:
yes, but my comments are not as intelligent at the (admittedly) adorable baby and dog!
41 posts Page 3 of 3