The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Night-time grazing tips
01 May 2013, 02:11
Hi everyone,

I've been on 5:2 about a week now and am doing okay on my fasting days so far (maybe went a little over on the first two but my latest one was fantastic). However, I'm struggling a little bit on my feeding days to eat well. I find it easy to be healthy during the day when I'm busy, but in the evenings when I'm at home (usually watching tv or doing assignments) I seem to keep returning to the kitchen to graze after dinner. I've pretty much banned junk food from the cupboard so what I'm eating isn't unhealthy, but I feel like I'm undoing all of my good work on fasting days by eating a lot at night.

Does anybody have any tips to avoid night-time grazing/bingeing?

(Also, I hope I've put this thread in the right place - still getting the hang of this forum!)
Re: Night-time grazing tips
01 May 2013, 02:19
Hi Fredi,
I am sure that you will settle into a routine and that you will naturally start dropping the night nibbles. I used to find it impossible to get through an evening without a BIG glass of wine to wash down the chocolates etc and then wondered why I was getting heavier! Be kind to yourself and give it time before you take the mouth taping route, but when all else fails.........

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Ballerina x
01 May 2013, 02:33
Thanks Ballerina. Hopefully I can kick the bad habits!
01 May 2013, 02:59
Fredi,
I can sympathise. I have a massive sweet tooth and will usually go looking for a sugar hit while relaxing in front if the television.

Since starting the diet, the urge has not been as strong. I am not certain if it is a appetite reset or just being more aware if my eating. Mat least you are aware of it. Control should come with time.
01 May 2013, 04:17
Cleaning my teeth after dinner seems to work for me. The peppermint flavour doesn't work well with late night snacks!
01 May 2013, 06:09
Hi Fredi, I too have this tendency - still. Jaffer's suggestion sounds like a good one and I will try it! Also what about eating dinner a bit later in the evening? Or save up a banana to have at bedtime and let the thought of that carry you through?
01 May 2013, 07:24
Hi me too. I found a low calorie hot chocolate can help that craving for something sweet.
01 May 2013, 07:34
For the last week I have been having 2 squares of green & blacks dark chocolate for that time in the evening when I'm sat watching TV. It's a tiny amount (40 calories) so I can still do it on my fast days but it seems to make a difference both stopping the cravings and having something to look forwards to.

I find if I don't eat dinner reasonably soon after I get home on a feed day I do struggle to stay away from the snacks too. Tatics that seem to help are having something nice planned for tea & having everything in - if I've got something to look forwards to I'd rather save my hunger for that, or eating fairly soon after I get home from work.
01 May 2013, 07:34
Hi

I have a couple of ready made 10 cal jellies in the fridge which I find help me when I need something sweet in an evening.
01 May 2013, 08:51
I've just cut a 100 gram bar into 10 3 square blocks, and wrapped each one in tinfoil, so I can have my 55 cal treat, without absent mindedly :oops: eating most of the bar.
01 May 2013, 09:05
OK, this is going to sound disgusting but I find it works.....
Get a teaspoonful of peanut butter and dip it into a jar of instant hot chocolate powder so it gets a good covering and eat the whole spoonful at once.
:eat:
It seems to hit every single "naughty button" and provides instant gratification. I only do it when absolutely desperate - even on a fast day night - I try to leave a 70 calorie leeway just in case!

Yes it sounds like the kind of thing a really sad binge eater would do and it is critical that you only do one teaspoonful a night but compared to a total breakdown - eating Snickers or Star Bar it is a clever cheat.
01 May 2013, 09:11
When I feel that nearly irresistible urge to graze, I sit down and count the day's calories. If I haven't eaten my TDEE yet, I eat and enjoy it, and if I have I drink some delicious sweet and spicy chai and distract myself with reading.
01 May 2013, 09:22
I often chew gum after dinner if I'm feeling a bit hungry or I just want to eat more.
I don't chew it any other time so it's like a pretend dessert.
Good luck with it all!
01 May 2013, 09:37
I eat dinner around 9pm so I usually don't get hungry later. If I do, I usually have a very light soup in the winter or some fruit in the summer.
My mum always takes an apple to bed (yes, my dad is OK with that, he's pretty open-minded) and my friend Christina takes a handful of dried berries or almonds.
You can find things to eat that are tasty but not full in calories. I believe that snacking is not bad, as long as the snacks are good for you.
01 May 2013, 13:26
I feel you! One thing that fast days has taught me is that I eat out of boredom.

Yesterday was a feed day for me but I didn't overeat like I had been. Every time I opened the fridge or cupboard door in search of grazing materials, I asked myself "am I hungry? Am I eating because my body is telling me I need to? Or is my tummy comfortable and I'm reaching for food out of habit?" This worked for me yesterday.

If I concentrate on how good the food will taste or how it will feel in my mouth...oh then I am lost. I'll start and not stop. Now to make that "hunger v. boredom" check a habit.
18 posts Page 1 of 2