The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Multivitamins on fast days?
01 May 2013, 11:05
I generally eat fairly healthy on feed days which i hope compensates, but was wondering if people take extra multivitamins on fast days, as generally we will be getting less vitamins and nutrients on these days?
Re: Multivitamins on fast days?
01 May 2013, 11:07
I've started taking berocca on fast days, not as a supplement, as such, but to perk me up a bit. I can still get really lethargic and find that the berocca and a rehydration salt mixed in a big glass of water can really help. Won't do any harm either.
01 May 2013, 11:10
Thats a good idea, as i can feel a bit lethargic on fast days, as i have been doing this WOE for 7 weeks or so i dont see that changing hugely so a berocca may help with that. I wonder what the colorie count in a Berocca is lol?? :-/
01 May 2013, 11:18
Not counting! it's medicinal. ;)
01 May 2013, 11:18
The only problem with a multivitamin is that you don't know which vitamins/minerals you might be short of and so much of what you consume in the multivitamin may be wasted. Plus Berocca does not contain all the vitamins and minerals that you need so you might in fact be missing on something you do need! Zinc, selenium, vitamin D, chromium for example are often low in people in the developed world and yet bercocca does not contain those. It does contain vitamins B and C and some magnesium. Also sodium carbonate to make the fizz which is not so good if you are trying to keep sodium low due to high blood pressure!

Not sure what the answer is really. I would imagine that we are not generally short of vitamins and minerals but some of us may be short of certain specific things. For example, there is talk of magnesium being low in some people with obesity, and likewise zinc, and vitamin D, while chromium is supposed to help with blood sugar regulation. Probably one of those vitamin and mineral tablets that claim to have everything you need is best if you feel you should take something, or if you feel your diet is generally good, vitamin D seems a good bet during the winter as vitamin D levels seem to be very low in most people who work indoors.
01 May 2013, 11:26
Tammygirl wrote: I generally eat fairly healthy on feed days which i hope compensates, but was wondering if people take extra multivitamins on fast days, as generally we will be getting less vitamins and nutrients on these days?

I don't take multivitamins, but I do take D and B9 because my doctor told me to, and fish oil because I don't eat the recommended amount of fish.

Other than that I don't think I have any nutritional deficiencies or need for artificial vitamins. My calorie counter fitday.com also calculates my nutrition and compares it to the RDA, and I find that as long as I don't fill up on empty calories like candy or refined flour it's not difficult to get what I need from food.
6 posts Page 1 of 1