The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

35 posts Page 1 of 3
Sweet or savoury?
02 May 2013, 23:24
I just wonder what percentage is of sweet/savoury (and I use the English spelling here) people we have here.
I do not have a sweet tooth at all, but adore cheese and olives...and wine
Re: Sweet or savoury?
02 May 2013, 23:39
Definitely sweet! :heart:

One effect of 5:2 that I've noticed though, is that things taste sweeter. I don't put as much sugar in my tea now, and I'm not so fond of the whole wheat bagels I always used to eat. Even on regular feed days, I find I'm not eating as many sweets! Could I be switching sides???? Time will tell! :lol:
03 May 2013, 00:27
I definitely have a sweet tooth - worse luck! I use to be a savoury girl - particularly fixated with salty crisps but now it's chocolate all the way.
03 May 2013, 00:32
Absolutely sweet! I crave savoury also, but find it a lot easier to say no to chips than to lollies and chocolate.
My particular weakness is pink musk sticks. I can't stop at one so I've had to put a complete ban on them!
03 May 2013, 00:38
That's something I was just thinking about yesterday when I was fasting. I am a savoury but yesterday (and on my other fast days) I've been fixated on ryvita with honey (on the comb - yum!). It just about drove me mental, I think I should have pushed through lunch.

Anyone else crave sweet on fast days?
03 May 2013, 01:22
Definitely savoury. I love all the things you love PennyForThem. Smiths crinkle cut plain salted chips-yummmmmmm :-)
03 May 2013, 01:31
Hey Writerscramp,
So funny you say that! I'm a total sweets person, but on my fast days I crave salt! I usually end up having a cup of bouillion and skipping the sugarfree jello!
03 May 2013, 16:36
I think I'm fairly balanced, but probably more savoury. I would find it much harder to give up bacon or cheese than chocolate or sweets. However, in the right frame of mind I can work myself through a large bag of sweets, no problem! That's a very once in a blue moon thing though. I prefer dark chocolate over milk, but can take it or leave it. I'm a sucker for a piece of homemade cake, especially my own :grin: Bring on the brownies!

Of course, salted caramel strikes the perfect balance regardless of your persuasion. That's about the only thing that's not safe in this house :grin: Salted caramel brownies are my nemesis :shock:

I wonder whether these things are genetic to a degree. One of my 8 year old twins loves dark chocolate - Lindt 70% being her favourite. The other prefers milk, but neither of them gets through any amount of it and there's always chocolate in the house. We habitually chuck out sweets that are out of date; usually these have been received as presents or during Halloween trick or treating. Put a plate of sausage rolls in front of them or a cheese straw, and they're gone in a flash! Hubby is not a big sweetie eater either.
03 May 2013, 16:40
Definitely sweet, love baking cakes, biscuits, etc
03 May 2013, 16:44
Savory - my downfall is pre-dinner nibbles, big dinners, alcohol and cheese. And full fry ups for breakfast. Not that interested in anything sweet, apart from a bit of dark chocolate when drunk !
03 May 2013, 16:48
Mmmmmm love, love, love savoury foods!

That's not to say I don't eat sweet stuff aswell if it's in front of me, but give me a choice, I would pick a pork pie over chocolate any day! Lol
03 May 2013, 16:53
Savoury! But I absolutely love cakes
03 May 2013, 17:15
Ahh Winsome, I agree. Salted caramel is the business!

I'm a pastry chef, mainly baking sweet pastries and cakes but I eat more savoury than sweet things. This is possibly partly due to having cakes around all day every day but also since starting 5:2 I have become more sensitive to sweet tastes eg I used to always have 2 sugars in white coffee, now I have none. I won't say no to a nice bar of either milk or dark chocolate though :wink:
03 May 2013, 17:17
I was a sweet person, all the way! Chocolate, cake, puddings, then I had my thyroid out and now it's savoury for me, rather have a starter than pudding anytime. Also very into anything with chilli. Since starting the 5:2 anything sweet tastes very sweet so just a little is enough for any craving days I might have.
03 May 2013, 17:49
Savoury for me - and, especially, my wine. Offer me a chocy dessert and I'll say "no thanks - just pour me another glass of wine"!!!! Don't know if that's good or bad . . probably not so good but I find I am drinking less on 5:2.
35 posts Page 1 of 3