The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
When to eat on fast days
02 May 2013, 23:39
I am new to this forum and I am on my first week of the diet and my second fast day. So far, I have been doing 3 meals a day and keeping it under 500 calories, but I noticed that many people do two meals and skip one (usually lunch). Does a certain method maximize weight loss? I want to make sure I am doing it right lol :)
Re: When to eat on fast days
02 May 2013, 23:48
That is totally up to you, do what feels best. Many people experiment with various combinations. I do 2 meals, lunch and supper, but I am trying to go to 1 meal. Today was very good so had no food until 3:30 pm when I had a hardboiled egg. Ate the rest of cals at supper.

There is some research that suggests going 24 hrs between 2 of your meals will maximize the benefits. Check out the FAQ area, that would probably have the answer.

BTW - Welcome! This is a great forum, so spend some time browsing around. Don't forget to take your beginning measurements so you can track your progress.
02 May 2013, 23:59
Thank you so much! I will check out the FAQ area right now :) I weighed myself and took my measurements, and I am SO glad I am doing this lol! Have a good feeling about this method.
03 May 2013, 00:03
To answer your question, a certain method does not maximize weight loss. As long as you stick to 500 calories or less a day, you can eat as many meals as you want. But people who have been doing it for a while tend to find it easier to squeeze those calories into one or two meals a day. Some are going the full 36 hours with only water. My body is getting used to the fasting, so I find that the hunger pains are becoming less and less of an issue. I find it easier to not eat than to eat. I eat the minimal amount of food it takes to ease any discomfort. Tonight, some scrambled egg whites and steamed broccoli was all I needed after going 24 hours without food. I actually even had a glass of wine later when a friend came over, and I'm sure I never topped 350 calories for the day.
03 May 2013, 00:25
Thank you Rufus! I think since this is my first week of fasting I am playing it safe and having three meals, but I think the more I adjust to the fasting, I will then modify it and maybe only do one or two meals. I have heard from others that you become less hungry the more you progress on the diet, so I think it will get easier for me then.
03 May 2013, 00:30
I tried with just one meal a day but found that when I sat down to eat, finally, I wanted to eat way too much - I was ravenous. I stick to three small meals now and find that suits me much better. It's whatever suits you really.
03 May 2013, 00:41
Thank you Esmeralda! Glad that any way works because I really like my 3 meals :)
03 May 2013, 00:52
Funny you posted about this! I've been doing this for 6 weeks now and have tried to do just one meal a day and find I can't do it. I normally have a Glucerna shake at noon and then a 300 cal meal at around 7. Tried again today to do just one evening meal and I just don't feel well. I've been steadily losing with the 2 meals and am going to stick to the lunch and dinner.
03 May 2013, 01:07
I'm 7 weeks in, lost 3.5kg & this is the first time I have tried a 'diet' and not become obsessed with eating! I dont eat till dinner time & dont even get tempted cos I know I will spoil the fast day if I eat. Also I like updating my weight on the progress tracker here as I can see its working. Usually for dinner I have slim pasta (made with konjac root)& lowfat meat sauce or chicken/veg stirfry and usually there is room for something sweet with a cup of black tea later.
03 May 2013, 02:36
I agree foggin, I think it would be hard for me to do one square meal,at that point I would be ravenous! I think two meals or the three small ones I do will work out fine. Thanks for your response!

Kookaburra, I should def try the progress tracker, haven't done that yet, just signed up for this forum today :) Thanks for the meal ideas!
03 May 2013, 03:29
The fast diet book seemed to encourage eating as few meals as possible. I have breakfast and dinner, as Dr. M did in the book. I was surprised to see in the recent survey here that the majority have only dinner. I don't think I can do it.
03 May 2013, 03:51
I want to point out that Rufus indicates fasting should be 36 hours, but 24 is actually sufficient. I am a grandmother and often work 12 hour days providing daycare for 2 young grandkids. 24 hours is all I can do most days. I like to eat a big breakfast and then start my 24 hour fast right after that. I usually don't eat lunch, eat a small 350 calorie dinner, and then have an evening snack so I don't have to go to bed hungry. I don't eat the next day until my 24 hour fast is over. I am losing weight very slowly, but I am losing weight. I have found it is very hard to lose weight over the age of 65 because your metabolism slows down. I have no serious health problems, so I feel fine losing the weight slowly. I find the 5/2 diet easy and fun so far. It is helping me manage my eating on all the non fasting days, and enjoy what I do eat much more without worry.
03 May 2013, 04:01
When I first started I would eat some fruit around 10 in the morning then, I would eat a small meal around 6, then another piece of fruit around 10 in the evening. All totaled less than 600 cals. That seemed to keep the hunger pangs away. Here recently I've started going 36 hours no food only because I want to push myself a little, and see if I could do it.

I think one of the great things about this way of life is that it is so flexible. Do what works for you. What you need to look out for is over doing it on feed days. Notice I don't call them feast days. I feel that gives the wrong impression. I try not to over indulge on the days that I can freely eat, because I want to reduce my weekly calorie consumption. If I fast two days out of the week then over eat the other five to make up for the deficit that would defeat the purpose imo.
03 May 2013, 08:54
I also eat 3 small meals a day on a fast day and feel much better than on the one occasion I missed breakfast. As you can see from the replies so far we all approach the fast days in different ways, but all try to keep to the 500 / 600 calorie allowance. One of the reasons I think 5:2 will be sustainable on a long term basis is that we can adapt it to suit our lifestyle.
03 May 2013, 09:01
I eat a small breakfast and a small lunch on my fast days.
17 posts Page 1 of 2