The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

25 posts Page 2 of 2
My current policy is too donate anything that's too big, and dig to the back of the wardrobe for stuff I'd held onto and couldnt fit into, which is providing rich pickings at the moment. To make it easier, I sorted my wardrobe into dresses, long sleeved tops, cropped trousers etc, so I could find everything. To my eternal shame, I have 4 long sleeved black t-shirts. You can take a love of rummaging round charity shops too far.

Despite loosing a stone, all my bras still fit perfectly - makes no sense. But I'll buy new ones as soon as I need them, underwear is the only thing I buy new, all my other clothes are bought second-hand.
I'll be back in vests at this rate.... I've gone from nothing (during my former slim self) to double D post pregnancy, and back to nothing... but thankfully I've gone past wanting bigger boobiloos now. My bra's, even the smallest are facing imminent redundancy - as are my lady lumps!! (obvs been single too long!!) :oops:
Hi
I lost 7 stone 2 years ago - put most of it back on which is why I'm here.

Evans had an offer on black trousers 2 for £25 or something like that so I bought sizes 24 down to 16 - real sense of achievement being able to slip into the next size down at then end of a month - perfect for work, As for underwear I bought a few of those stretch bras - Ahh bra, Belvia, Vercella Vita (QVC - formerly La Dea)that sort of thing. Buy the size you are and they will carry you through to at least the next size down while feeling completely supported. I think an XL and L carried me right the way through from size 22 to size 16. The only thing I did renew religiously were my sports bras - didn't want my ta-tas flapping about while I was throwing my self about at the gym. Good luck
I had previously lost about 21kg the past two years and am now trying to lose 15kg more with 5:2 (adding that to my current lowcarb/paleo eating habits)....so I understand the feeling!

I've not bought too many more new bras until I'm certain what else might change, though most of my weight is in my lower body now. (I started around 38DD and now am a 32DD/E but I still have a few of the 34s simply because they are good enough around the house, etc.)

Agree with the above commenters about donating the old ones, and finding a decent inexpensive source in the interim, but I'd also say that rotating in one, nice new bra in a good brand/comfy fit isn't a bad plan either and can give you a better fit and longer wear than a cheap one, budget permitting. A really good bra in your favourite brand is a fitting reward for hard work!

What I did was rotate "1-2 biggest out, 1-2 new ones in" about once a month or so. I had no choice, I went from a UK20 to a 14 in that time period...so I combed sales on lingerie sites like Figleaves/Belle, etc - and kept an eye on shops for specials. Plus, I can also suggest, if you're into using these types of sites - what I also did was sold some of the nicer items on Ebay during that time - new things that had tags, familiar brands, even a designer jacket that got too large. Then I also bought a few items from vendors that I knew were trustworthy and selling familiar brands (Monsoon, NEXT, for instance), as I knew how those brands tend to fit.

Saving money on jeans, jackets, skirts I was able to replace other items more easily during that first transition.

I still have 15kg to go, UK 10 is my aim, so it's not over yet. :) Good luck!
No such thing as cheap clothes here, so I'm wearing unflattering things, hanging off (including the brassieres!) and waiting until I come home in the summer to stock up on stuff. And I'll need tidy-ish work stuff as I'll be starting a new job after the summer holidays. Hmmmm- hate clothes shopping.
Good luck with your new job. :like: I am becoming a fan of Debenhams, not so taken with M&S these days. BHS have become a little staid and tired. If you want something a little more stylish and/or pricey then Zara and Monsoon have great ranges in at the moment and of course the younger high street shops all have great summer things in at the moment, so fill your boots when you get here :grin:

I can't believe you hate clothes shopping, :shock: I personally detest food shopping and am relieved to not have to do quite so much of it since I started 5:2 but I am enjoying HAVING to do more clothes shopping :smile:

Ballerina x
Hey, just wanted to say, if you're getting rid of bras, you can donate them to charity (always supposing they aren't broken) rather than just throwing them away.
Well I have the same bra problem and have fished out some from the days before I put on weight...and I bought some ahh bras last year - not a lot of support I might add, but sooo comfy and they fit quite a wide range of sizes cos they are soft/flexible.
Here is a handy formula to know your correct bra size.
For bra band measurement measure under breasts snug and exhale, add 2 inches to even and 3 inches to odd E.g. (35+3 =38)
For cup size measure with a bra on measure around the nipples or apex . The difference between bra band measurement and apex is your cup size
3inches =C
4 inches =D
5inches =DD
6 inches = F and so on
So when you go to get new bras you will get the right fit
It works
Don't throw your bras away if they are too big. Take them to Oxfam or another charity shop as apparently bras are much needed by poorer people in other parts of the world.
25 posts Page 2 of 2