The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

45 posts Page 3 of 3
Runners used to use 2lbs per inch as a rule of thumb - ie 5ft 10in = 140 lbs.
Works for me...
Of course this only works if you were, at one stage, slim. I have always been a chubster - got quite slim when I was about 16 but then I think I had what was verging on an eating disorder. It certainly isn't a place I'd like to revisit. As soon as I discovered alcohol it all expanded outwards and then with independent living, uni etc it was a downward spiral. It's only been in my later twenties and now in my early thirties (no children so far) taht I've finally turned around the way I've been eating. My slimmest waws my wedding weight which is a stone less than I am now. It's achievable and I will aim for it with 5:2, just to see if it is maintainable but would be happy with just another 7lb, just to see me hover around the 9st mark (I'm 5'5).

Of course if I have kids in the next few years, this may all be in vain!!!
So I should be 67kgs by this then. I'd love that!
It would be hard for me as I was 'fat' in my younger age (the curse of being asian and anyone who is not skin and bones is fat) and moved to Norway. Medication for a couple of years made me gain weight and stayed there no matter what. I had a kid at 28 (gained only 10kg and did not look pregnant from behind) and gained weight while breast feeding (is that even possible??). The weight melted after the kid one day decided to weaned himself. I went as low as 56,8kg and then gained when I got a sedentary job.....

So the formula wont work for me though I have to say, I weigh less now then when I was in secondary school and all the working out that we had to do and what not activities so I am happy with life.
Using creakypetes calc, that means I will get there just before Christmas :clover: :clover:
Thanks for bumping up this thread - I have changed my goal weight to 10 stone 7lbs, an increase of 7lbs. which I think is more realistic and achievable. Young and slender=good, old(er! :curse: )and scrawny=bad! Now then, 7lbs off my target weight, where's that chocolate! :grin:
I like this way of looking at it. According to this formula, today I'm a pound and a half below my ideal weight (at age 72, mother of 2) I'm aiming to lose another 1.5 pounds just for vanity to really cement in that drop to size 12 (US). But maybe I don't have to get too paranoid about it :)

I've read of studies showing that when elders get ill or need surgery, they do better if they are not too skinny. Maybe a little extra muscle and fat serve as reserves.
Interestingly enough, mine's close.

However, if I would have had 23 more kids I could have stopped losing weight before I started.
the original formula would my goal weight between 170 and 175, which is probably a sustainable weight for me. I weighed 170 for my wedding at 31yo. the runner's calculation would put my goal weight at 135, which is totally unrealistic. I have never seen that number on a scale that I was standing on. When in high school,once, I got down to 145 through sheer starvation, for one day. So 135 would not be possible for me, unless there was surgical removal of parts.
ADFnFuel wrote: Interestingly enough, mine's close.

However, if I would have had 23 more kids I could have stopped losing weight before I started.

Your profile says you are a male, so the 23 kids wouldn't count. Sorry! :grin:
It doesn't work for me either. I was 13 stone by 13. 12 stone at 18 then first pregnancy. 2nd pregnancy at 21 and 17 st 4lb.
I saw my friend today and she agrees with the others that I'm pretty much there.
I tried on a size 12 dress today, in m&s and it was big, but very short!
Bumping this thread up. In all the threads about working out your "target weight"... i really like the calculation method by @Nanou. 69kg is just about right for me~

I think it does assume that in your "20s" one wasn't overweight.

How are things going Nanou?
Sadly I have put on weight back on :(
Maybe I should look at my own calculation method more closely and apply it! Then it would mean I only have 2 kilos to lose, not so bad at all. Thanks for reminding me of this :)
Oh @Nanou if I follow your calculations I am now lower and have overshot my goal. Thanks works for me
These calculations don't work for me. I was a cuddly 9st 8lb 61k. I had 5 children, 66k and I am in my late 60s so another 5 k equals 71k that would be 11stone eek I now weigh 59.5k or 9stone 5lb and I feel and look just fine. I haven't been 11stone since I was pregnant with the twins 40 years ago. Thank goodness, although I was near it when I started this WOE last year.
45 posts Page 3 of 3