The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Few Questions - IBS and protein
09 May 2013, 11:16
So, today is my first fast day (going ok so far!) and I have a few quick questions:

Firstly, has anyone with IBS done this? I suffer with constipation quite a bit and was wondering if it would make any change to it? Would be fabulous if it did but I've learnt to cope with it if not!

Secondly, in the documentary they said too much protein wasn't good for IGF-1 - what I wasn't quite sure of was does fasting counteract that or is it still advisable to keep your protein low? Just seems to me that on fasting days, eating protein would be more beneficial than carbs.

Oh, and does WOE mean 'way of eating'?

Thanks!
I have suffered from IBS for years but NOT constipation - quite the opposite!

Since starting this it has almost completely gone. The only time it returned was one week when I was unable to fast. It seems like my 'system' needs a rest from digesting food.

However, some people do seem to find they get quite constipated on this WOE so hopefully that will not be you. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
I also have ibs with constipation nikkijayne. The constipation did get worse to start with but seems to have improved in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I take magnesium at night and have just started taking something called flourishe from naturesbest.co.uk. It does seem to be helping. There is a thread on constipation which is worth a read. If you search for constipation you should find it. Good luck
Re the protein question, on a fast day your proportion of protein could well be higher than on a non-fast day but because you are allowed so few calories it is still likely to be low compared with normal eating. And, yes, avoid carbs on fast days and concentrate on lots of vegetables and some protein.
It's my first week on 5:2, with one of my main aims to fix my IBS. My main symptoms are bloating, cramps, sluggishness and 'unsatisfying' bms. So far I've only got a swollen stomach once after eating pasta/bread on an off day, but other than that I feel fantastic. I've also just started having 1tbsp physillium husks a day (Holland and Barratt) which has made the other side of things much more comfortable!
The protein thing is "controversial".

My view is that we should follow the ADF studies by Varady ie use less than 30g of protein ie 15-20% of fast day calories as this is the scientific basis of 5:2.

To reinforce this the two day diet (Harvie) has more like 50g protein and doesn't show IGF-1 reductions.

The link between protein and IGF-1 has been demonstrated in clinical trials, humans respond this way to reduced protein rather than reduced calories - unlike rats etc.
I find it very interesting to read about people with IBS following 5:2. My husband has it but his is triggered by missing or late meals among other things so he says it is not possible for him to diet. He even takes food to bed in case he wakes up in the night. He says the only way he can lose weight is to exercise more but he is already fairly active as a builder. He carries nearly all of his excess weight around his stomach so I do worry about his health. He definitely does not suffer with constipation! There seem to be so many different ways that IBS is triggered.
IBS is more of a blanket term for a range of stomach-related food intolerances. I would hazard a guess that your hubby's is more like acid reflux related if he can't bear an empty stomach? Sometimes if I don't have anything at all in my stomach I produce to much bile, which is fixed if I eat some starch. Eating at night could make it worse though, it might be that he's eating the wrong things. IBS is very subjective!

I'd recommend looking up FODMAP food groups and doing trial eliminations of certain food groups. One of my friends with IBS can't eat too much fruit. Another can't touch dairy. I'm fine with fruit, mostly ok with dairy, but can't eat too much white bread/pasta etc
8 posts Page 1 of 1