The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Just trying to get some information. As I lose weight should I adjust my TDEE and fasting calories? Are there any long timers on here who have stuck to 500 on fast days and their starting TDEE and keep losing weight? Makes sense to adjust but I'd rather not!
Hi i've been on the 5:2 for nearly 9 months. Lost a lot over the first 6 months, went down 3 dress sizes. Then went on maintenance 2 x 1000 lowcal days for 2 months. Then noticed clothes not so loose so for last couple of weeks back to 2 x500 cals on fast days. As you get thinner and yout TDEE changes I think to maintain losing or maintaining i would rather adjust TDEE cals on feed days rather than go lower on fast days. My appetite is less than it was at start of 5:2 but unfortunately more than it was a month or so back. It's tricky but i think to keep the weight off i will need to keep this balancing act of 5:2 fast and 5:2 maintenace. But thats the good thing about this WOE. If anybody had told me I would be able to keep to this WOE 9 months ago I wouldnt have believed them! Good luck!
As you lose weight your body requires less energy to work (after all, if you walk a mile carrying a 10kg back pack it will burn more calories than without the 10kg). Eventually, therefore, you will a new balance point. So you will eventually slow and stall re weight loss if you carry on eating the same on your non-fast days. Of course if you're happy with that new weight that's fine. If not you'll need to readjust. However, don't make a change just to lose the weight and then return to the old feed day calories else the lost weight will return!

I think, therefore, whether or not you need to change anything will depend on where you are when you hit that balance point. Some people have not needed to adjust, others have.
3 posts Page 1 of 1