The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi-

I have just completed three weeks of 5:2, and it was all going well, I did Mondays and Thursdays. This is the first time for me to go on a diet, and the fasts ran smoothly, I counted calories and mantainted the 5oo cal intake.

But then, the last thrursday, my 6th fast date something went all horribly wrong. I had hunger pangs like I never have had before, and barely made through the fast days feeling miserably. The Friday after I am binging like never before, the hunger feeling is so intense. No matter how much I eat, the hunger pangs wont go away!

What is happening! I thought that the fasting will adjust my body to eat less on non-fasting days, and ideed that is what happend the first two weeks, I even lost wieght!

Has anyone experienced this? I really want to get out of the constant hunger pang mode before the next fast on Monday! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks for this forum!
pben
I don't suppose you use my fitness pal so we could check your food log for that fasting period? Are you eating low GI stuff as it helps to regulate things like hunger?
Hi, El Duderino

Um, No, I dont use a fitness pal, but the last diet day 500 cal consisted og one boiled egg, nettle soup, and lots of salad greens.

I didnt realise that I could eat low GI stuff (will have to read up on that). THanks for that great idea.

br
pben
pben wrote: ... last thrursday, my 6th fast date something went all horribly wrong. I had hunger pangs like I never have had before, and barely made through the fast days feeling miserably. The Friday after I am binging like never before, the hunger feeling is so intense. No matter how much I eat, the hunger pangs wont go away!

What is happening! I thought that the fasting will adjust my body to eat less on non-fasting days, and ideed that is what happend the first two weeks, I even lost wieght!

Has anyone experienced this? I really want to get out of the constant hunger pang mode before the next fast on Monday! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks for this forum!
pben

Yes, I have had this and I eat and eat. The nerds will correct me on this, but I feel that I am carb depleated in this mode. So I eat lots of sweet stuff and the sensation goes away. At least it feels like I eat like a pig, but my wife doesn't notice that I am eating so much.

I tend to feel stonkered very quickly now. So pigging out is only a bit more than usual.

It doesn't happen every time I fast. So carry on and you'll find there are a lot more easy than difficult fast days. That is my experience.

All the best,
Peter
pben, your BMI is pretty low already...it may be that your body is protesting that it doesn't want to lose any more weight. If you want to fast for the health benefits, I think you may need to cut back to one fast a week (6:1).
Your BMI as point pointed out is already good. The above advice about a 6:1 would be good to trial.

Today is my fast day and I actually feel less hungry on the 280 calories I've had so far than on my feast which is because of the low GI.

The reason why I'd recommend the low GI food is because your body will digest these foods at a much slower rate meaning you will feel fuller for longer, in fact it's good to add to your feast days too.

Here is a low GI shopping list you can use, give it a go!
LowGlycemicShoppingList.pdf
(37.48 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Thanks so much for posting this, I printed it out and I'm going to laminate and keep it on my fridge :)
Thanks for all your replies! I will definitely follow up on the low GI foods.

In my case, BMI is not a good indicator, as I have a lot of visceral fat in abdomen (very much apple-shape). I need to reduce this, as I am prone to high Blood Pressure.

Fasting day is tommorrow again, do you really think I should drop 5:2 and go over to 6:1? Perhaps I should try to stick to low GI foods, and see if I can ween off the gluttany, I am definately motivated to try!!

Thanks for your help and support!

pben
8 posts Page 1 of 1