The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Many of 5:2 followers are trying to loose weight. But not me. I'll do my best keeping my weight as it is because I don't want te become slimmer as I already am. Just in it for the health benefits.
Are there more like me?
Good luck finding anyone on here who has not lost or is hoping to lose weight, for a lot of us it a secondary, but very important, consideration. I, personally, hope that it will be proved to have long term health benefits,

Ballerina x
I hope that too. But feeling great by this way of eating. Seeying the BBC documentary convinced me of doing something good for my body. Already eating healty and exercise a lot. But also enjoying chocolate and other nice stuff:) I'm aware of my lucky position of no need to loose weight...
I'm in mostly for the health benefits, it was the possible health benefits that got me into this WOE, I only have around 6-7 extra pounds so I'm not too concerned about the weight, though it would be nice
Dutchgirl wrote: Many of 5:2 followers are trying to loose weight. But not me. I'll do my best keeping my weight as it is because I don't want te become slimmer as I already am. Just in it for the health benefits.
Are there more like me?

Please log you weight and vitals, I am sure we'd all be interested to see how you do. Will you lose more weight, will fast days be tougher, will you eat more?

Yes we're here to lose weight, but it's got to stop sometime.

Keep us posted, I'll be interested to see how you progress. :?:

Best wishes,
Peter
Yes, I'm like you, Dutchgirl. I'm at the underweight end of the spectrum and started fasting at the beginning of November for the health benefits. After one 500-calorie day I switched to one day a week of zero calories (30 to 40 hours) and have been at it since then. A few months ago I started 16:8 (8-hour eating window) on the other days.

It has taken some effort to keep from losing. (I'm down about 1 kg from starting weight but have managed not to lose more.) The need to consume more calories on eating days has been disorienting. The "internal barometer" that kept my weight steady (within a range of a few pounds) without my having to think about it has been thrown off and hasn't yet recalibrated itself, so I'm having to think consciously about what I consume rather than operating on automatic pilot.

The process has been confounded by making other changes in my diet. I was eating fairly healthy vegetarian fare before, but since starting fasting I've got rid of all processed food, have eliminated most dairy products and sugar except for what's in dark chocolate, and cut way back on gluten. It's a work in process.
Wow Natasha!
No dairy products and gluten, that's not a easy road to go. I'm vegetarian too and trying to eat as healty as I can. My only sin is milk chocolat:) I find it hard not to loose weight with 5:2. Lost almost 2 kilo now and trying to eat it back;) If I'm getting to skinny I go for 6:1.

Hi Peter,
I haven't put my weight and stuff in my profile because most of the people are here for weight lost. Doesn't feel right to show my skinny weight.
I'm in it mostly for the health benefits. Happy to lose a few more pounds, but will let it happen slowly and naturally. Fasting 2x/week has given me lots and lots of energy. I fell better now than I have in decades. I have started exercising more, which has made me leaner and more sinewy. I am alert and happy. All my dysthymia is gone....!
I want to lose weight as well but just as much want the health benefits. The history of Alzheimer's is very high in my family and really want to do what I can to get and stay healthy.
I didn't want to lose weight though didn't mind the few pounds I lost before making sure I ate more on fast days. Been surprised how easy it has been to hold weight steady. I take more nuts and dark chocolate.
colkerr wrote: I didn't want to lose weight though didn't mind the few pounds I lost before making sure I ate more on fast days. Been surprised how easy it has been to hold weight steady. I take more nuts and dark chocolate.

In the beginning I lost a few pounds so now I eat more on my feed days. I quit eating chocolate since a few days:( I'm addicted to it I'm afraid. Like the taste of it a lot (milkchocolate) but have a dip afterwards...Feeling very tired then:( So decided to stop eating it and it's hard:(
Also eat more nuts as a snack and eat a heavy breakfast with a lot of calories in it. This morning my weight was only a few 100 grams less then yesterday (fastday). So it won't be much to eat back on:)
I was here to lose weight initially, just 6kgs to get down to the low healthy BMI rate (19 instead of 21). So I'm just on maintenance now - I want to keep fasting for the health benefits too, not lose any more weight (but not gain any either!)
12 posts Page 1 of 1