The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 2 of 2
We Italians are very old style regarding food and I don't even think I would find protein powder. Maybe fitness shops?
Yes, you want whey protein powder like a bodybuilder would use. Many use yogurt instead but I want the higher protein to maintain muscle and feel full. And old style is the best style if you have access to fresh organic foods. I live in the city so organic too expensive and nowhere to grow. That's another thing in the next life I will also be a farmer.
Hi Silvia - Welcome. I'm traveling tomorrow to Europe. Will end up in Italy later in June. Venice, Florence and Rome. Worried I'll gain all my weight back!

About the sick stomach - I too have experienced it. Try some saltine crackers. just 2 or 3. see if it helps. I find it was related to exercising, if I didn't exercise so hard I didn't get the sick stomach. Also, starting my third month, I can now exercise harder then before and not get upset stomach. Maybe our bodies just have to get used to this empty stomach.

Good luck - where are you located?
clairemarie wrote: Yes, you want whey protein powder like a bodybuilder would use. Many use yogurt instead but I want the higher protein to maintain muscle and feel full. And old style is the best style if you have access to fresh organic foods. I live in the city so organic too expensive and nowhere to grow. That's another thing in the next life I will also be a farmer.

Then I am definetely old style because the stall where I buy my vegetables from belong to a farmer who has his coltivations behind where I live...but I'm afraid, in my next life I will be English, thin but not a farmer because I will live in London :grin:
Nina10 wrote: Hi Silvia - Welcome. I'm traveling tomorrow to Europe. Will end up in Italy later in June. Venice, Florence and Rome. Worried I'll gain all my weight back!

About the sick stomach - I too have experienced it. Try some saltine crackers. just 2 or 3. see if it helps. I find it was related to exercising, if I didn't exercise so hard I didn't get the sick stomach. Also, starting my third month, I can now exercise harder then before and not get upset stomach. Maybe our bodies just have to get used to this empty stomach.

Good luck - where are you located?

You better worry in advance then because it's nearly impossible to be on diet in Italy and even because when I'm travelling I tend not to care a lot. Who knows when and if I'll be able to go back to that certain place and try that certain food :wink: ?
You're right about saltine crackers, it should work as it worked when I was pregnant and was sick day and night :frown: I will try for sure and I'm sure you are right about the training too.
It may get better after I get use to it. I mean, I've done the 5:2 only for 3 weeks.
Lucky you can travel to Europe. And from where are you travelling from? I'm from Pisa, the leaning tower city..
I've had sore tummys too a few times and find that ENO helps .Thats Australian for that fiizy white stuff you stir in water and drink quickly and makes you burp and settles your stomach.
Could be Citrosodina maybe.. which is sodium bicarbonated and acid citric? It's something you use when you have digestive problems ..
That's it:

Form Wikipedia
Each 5 g of Eno powder contains:
Sodium bicarbonate Ph Eur 2.32g
Citric acid Ph Eur 2.18 g
Anhydrous sodium carbonate Ph Eur 0.50 g

It's Citrosodina!
I experienced the same thing last Thursday after fasting on the Wednesday (my first fast), i went out for a work meal to a French restuarant and ate three courses was very full for the rest of the day then at 11pm i started getting a very bad stomach and felt very sick (but was not sick) i thought it was either the food i ate or the fasting.

I fasted on Monday and was fine yesterday, and i am fasting today so fingers crossed i will not experience that again.

I hope you do not carry on experiencing this.
I sometimes find after a fast (particularly if I've done a liquid only fast) that my tummy can't take too much the next day and is easily overloaded. I guess it's a case of going from one extreme to another, having had a virtually empty tummy for a day and then trying to stuff it full. I find it to be a good thing as it reminds me not to overeat. I can't physically manage a large 3 course meal anymore so try to stick to main & dessert, or if I really 'must' try a starter then I have a smaller main or leave some so I've room for my pud ;)
Hi Silvia. My husband has family in Pisa. We visited a few years ago and climbed up the leaning Tower. Ate the best pizza in the world. I love Italy and will return as soon as I can.
Silvia wrote: We Italians are very old style regarding food and I don't even think I would find protein powder. Maybe fitness shops?

Hi... i'm a little late.. but you can find protein powder in pharmacies, decathlon stores, and herbalist shops. Good luck!
27 posts Page 2 of 2