The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

25 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: I love(d) pasta
03 Jun 2013, 21:03
Oooh homemade pasta is yummmmmy :)
04 Jun 2013, 00:11
Claire, I'm intrigued - what takes so long?

I can have fresh, homemade tagliatelle ready in about the same time as cooking dried pasta.

Mind you, I've only ever made it for one or two of us - would be a bit different for a gathering, I guess.

Pasta for 2:

(Put some water on to simmer, first.)

100g bread flour (either white or wholemeal - my preference)
60g water
Any flavourings - bouillon powder, chilli powder, etc

Mix together, knead for a few seconds and roll out thinly, using plenty of flour.

It's the right thickness when folded three times (8 thicknesses) = 1cm.

Cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Place in boiling water and, 3 minutes later, it's ready to eat!

It's so easy my 9-year-old granddaughter can make it - see pics on my blog.

Cheers, Paul
04 Jun 2013, 09:35
I agree, homemade pasta is very easy to make. Although I don't use water, just eggs and flour and I need more than 50 grms of flour in order to make one serving...
04 Jun 2013, 16:14
Hi all, how many seconds does it take to rip open a box of dry pasta?
For me it equals quick mindless eating. That is why I do homemade which by the way I am fairly new to. My process is as follows, make dough in mixer, then let it rest half hour, feed thru roller to knead and flatten, then feed thru spaghetti roller, cook, eat, cleanup.
04 Jun 2013, 16:32
Curious for those who are not eating pasta anymore : Can't you eat pasta on your other 5 days?
04 Jun 2013, 17:57
Yes it is a nice treat. I try to stay lower carb on the five days but 5 2 to me gives the thumbs up to your favorite foods once and awhile.
07 Jun 2013, 23:55
TML13 wrote: I need more than 50 grms of flour in order to make one serving...
I took this on board when I made a pasta sauce with some tagliatelle, on Wednesday.

I used 100g of flour - and I had loads left over, which I used in a vegan lasagne yesterday, which was absolutely wonderful. I still didn't use it all up, I had the rest for lunch today with a hummus and tahini sauce.

So I think 50g is about right for me.

Noticed on a bag of pasta that they were recommending a serving of 90g of dried pasta - at 284 cals. My 50g of flour is only 156 cals!
08 Jun 2013, 00:00
Well, in my book a serving of dried pasta is 125grams (although most of my friends use 140) and all the recipes I have for fresh pasta are around 100grms of flour per portion.
Of course, what's in the sauce makes a lot of difference (I won't use 125grms for a portion of bolognese but I will if it is simple tomato sauce).
Perhaps here in Greece and in Italy (my recipes are Italian) we love pasta more, LOLOL!!!
08 Jun 2013, 00:53
I found spaghetti squash to be a tasty pasta alternative...but that was a different diet!
08 Jun 2013, 04:04
I prefer the Zero noodles too! I think it's the fact they don't have that mealy texture that pasta, even cooked al dente, has. Overall this way of eating seems to have reduced my liking for stodgy carbs although I still love high-fat and salty things. Like everyone else I have doubts about the price of zero noodles but as they are a vegetable based food I'm not sure why some posters are so ready to dismiss them as an empty food. I eat cauliflower as a base for many meals because I prefer it to mashed potato anyway but I do find the noodles really good especially if soaked for a while in highly flavoured stick or a sauce.
25 posts Page 2 of 2