The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
As above! Though it would be interesting - do you still count calories?

I generally try to watch what I eat but try to eat clean over calories. And I try to have one 'splurge' day a week, where I can eat what I like and I don't worry about it.

What's an average non-fast day for you?
I don't calorie count
Usually have porridge and fruit for breakfast; cheese or meat salad baguette for lunch, meat and three veg and desert for dinner, choc biscuit and hot choc drink at bedtime. Drinks tea,coffee with milk.
No other snackes during the day
I eat as healthily to make up for deficits incurred with reduced calories on fast days.

On my menu are vegetables, fresh herbs sprinkles, salads picked from my garden. Fruit is bananas apples berries and citrus like lemons limes and mandarin. I love pulses so try to cook either Mediterranean or Indian recipes. Don't eat a lot of meat meals but when do its turkey and fish less so pork or lamb. (don't touch chicken). Love cheese eg haloumi , feta, and Parmesan. Yoghurt seeds nuts are included. Drink water, tea and coffee. Wine in moderation
That's me ... Oh I make meals from scratch like to know what I am eating
Home-made coconut granola and home-made full fat yogurt for breakfast in the week/ home-made waffles with lemon curd/maple syrup at weekends (often I skip lunch at weekends because the waffles are v filling)

Lunch might be home-made soup and bread or a cheese sandwich or something to use up the egg glut such as spanish omelette with lots of veg, or I might make hummus or smoked mackerel dip and have it with raw veggies and finally we often eat up the leftovers from previous day's dinner if there is not enough to make another dinner!

Piece of home-made cake for a snack

Dinner options are very varied as I love cooking: often it's a mince-based dish (spaghetti bolognese or with meatballs, chili con carne, shepherds pie)or chicken in white wine sauce or lamb steaks braised over veggies or beef casserole or chicken curry or spicy bean casserole or baked fish or fish pie or quiche or a bbq with sausages and home-made burgers (all these served with mixed vegetables and a starch: potatoes, rice, pasta, bulgur wheat) or if time is short it is most likely to be pasta in tomato sauce or with broccoli and bacon and cream or with smoked salmon, broccoli and cream, a weekends I might do a roast or make pizza or lasagne with home-made pasta. Usually we have wine at weekends (one/two glasses) and maybe once in the week if there is a bottle to be used up ;-) and at weekends we might also have a few nibbles before dinner (e.g., pistachios, popcorn)

Some nights (usually only weekends) there will be dessert...usually stewed rhubarb, gooseberries or apples (depending what we have got a glut of in the garden) served with yoghurt or if I have had time to make ice-cream, with ice-cream. In the summer, strawberries or a fruit salad might be on offer.

Makes you wonder how I manage to lose weight eh? (And explains how I put on so much weight before finding 5:2 :oops:)
Carorees that's good to hear, I've been worrying about overeating/watching what I eat on 'feast' days and think I've lost sight of what is normal! Think I need to teach myself that the odd chocolate croissant/cheese sandwich IS ok...
Wow Caroline you're so lucky as those kind of meals got me in the state I'm in now!!! So for that reason I go for evening meal of chicken or fish with loads of salad save my calories for evening now because that suits me & when I did eat breakfast or lunch got me more hungrier weird I know, don't calorie count on fast days now but my Cal's are roughly 500/550. Not fast day today but skipped breakfast & just had 2small slices ham and loads of crunchy salad as evening meal could get out of hand tonight (late birthday meals with family) so red wine for me. Sue
Sue...those are non-fast day meals! Also, portion sizes are much smaller now ;-)
Fast days are no calories until dinner when I have a small portion of fish/chicken with stir fried or oven roasted veg.
I don't count calories on feed days. During the week I try to keep it healthy and reasonably low on calories, but I have no idea how close or far I am from my TDEE. I try to stay away from sweets and too much alcohol and keep the portions smaller. On weekends all food and drink is fair game. I've got quite the sweet tooth. I chose this WoE so I can still indulge at times.
Ooops sorry Caroline thought it was to good to be true, having said that my salad ect does fill me up 'weird feeling' but I am so enjoying it. Sue
9 posts Page 1 of 1